Really Hot (like the sun) seats and floors (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi 100/LX470 crew.

My wife and I are the new owners of a 2000 LX470. We picked it up a month ago from the original family with 140k miles and love it. Our teens and the dog can all fit so comfortably.

The one thing we are learning is that the driver/passenger front seats, center console and middle row/feet area get really hot…I mean really hot.

I’m wondering if this is normal?

Engine temps are all normal and nothing seems out of the ordinary. It runs great.

Would it make sense for me to install additional heat shields around the CATS?

What about exhaust wrapping the pipes on either side of the CATS?

How about adding interior insulation/reflective padding to keep the floor not as hot?

Could my CATS be clogged?

I’ve heard Toyota moved the CATS a few years later to a different location? Can I relocate my CATS to a newer set up?

I’m not giving up on this awesome rig, hope to get these interior temps cool ASAP!

Thanks for any advice,
Ken (DuneRunner)

It could be because of CATS but I think you would get Check engine light first if they were clogged.
Perhaps check the temp of cats and make sure no shield is missing.

Is the climate control blowing heat through the floor vents? If there is a blend door/actuator issue or if the temp sensor is giving crazy readings you could be getting heat despite what you set the interior temp to.

Check the rear heat (or turn the rear off on the front console). Make sure the floor vents aren’t blocked. My truck had a plastic floor mat with a lip that blocked the vents, which I ended up cutting down.

Yep, it's likely that the rear heat is on. Check the temp setting on the ceiling controls between the 2nd and the 3rd row.

Carpet pulled over front and/or rear heater vents?

All suggestion above and what I've suggested. Can be difficult to discern, if not familiar with the 100 series in proper configuration and working condition as it came from the factory 24 years ago. Over the years and owners much could have been changed. So you may want to find some in your area, with a good eye for 100 series stock configuration.
_______

First thing would be to verify AC, heat and vents all working properly. Which has been suggested above.

I've seen a case were a short, kept cabin heater door open and outside air vent open. The outside air passes heater core on it's way into the cabin. So even when HVAC fan off, hot air enters cabin. I actually set my heat to full hot, set to outside air and drive with cabin fan OFF. This keeps cabin warm on cool days, but hot on hot days.

Also, is the seat electrical heat off. Normally this heat is only felt in the seat. It's doesn't normally radiant outward to floor & center consol. But could be additive to discomfort.

Keep in mind also. You've front and rear HVAC. You'll need to check both and all their vent for proper function. Both in auto climate setting and set manually, through all sitting..

Assuming all of HVAC is as it should be.

CATs:

CAT is about they only other thing it can be. Which, if all parts of OEM and working as it should in normal temp ranges. Would not cause cabin, to be so hot as to be noticeable.

So first, is to confirm it's OEM CAT(s) and all its shielding is in place sandwiched around cocooning the CAT and above CAT between it and floor board.
Second is to test if CAT is overheating. This happens, if oil & fuel is igniting inside the CAT. Which will burn CAT out. Typically you get a CEL. DTC likely a P0430 (CAT CODE). But if someone has added an O2 extender. This could fool the system, so no DTC present.

Speaking with PO, may be revealing. Also look at vehicle history at Lexus Owners web page or stop in or call Lexus Dealership and look at carfax. Look for clues as to issues with HVAC, CAT, O2, stalling or fuel smell issue(s) PO had.

BTW: Toyota did not move the CAT on the 100 series. We do have 3 different configuration, depending on year. Buy location never changed.

First of all, check if the cat and exhaust shields are still there.
Mine rusted out several years ago, removed them and after that the center console and floor temps increased as expected. It doesn't bother me as this is not my daily and its winter for like 7 months over here.

It could be because of CATS but I think you would get Check engine light first if they were clogged.
Perhaps check the temp of cats and make sure no shield is missing.
Thanks GV. I ran my scanner and no codes pulled. Also climbed under and noticed all the heat shields are in tact. I even pounded the CATS with my fist to hear if there was anything rattling around...nothing. I think it might have been one of the other situations that the guys below are suggesting. Thanks again!

UPDATE: Thanks Everyone! Turns out we had the rear Heat/AC control panel in the hot ON position. Now we make sure to keep it in the off position and not activate the dash button for the rear, unless we know we're going to turn everything off.

I look forward to driving this truck whenever possible.

Thanks again MUD friends.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom