Re-gearing soon and need some help. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Okay, I'm regearing soon to 4.88, I'm currently running stock and 35's.

I read on some other posts that you need to lock the factory lockers (if you got them) before you remove the axles. Is this true?

Now, since I'm regearing does this apply when removing the third members. I'm planning on removing the thirds and having a local shop set the gears for me. I'm not clear if I need to lock the diffs first or not and I definatelly don't want the shop to damage those either.

Thanks,

-Juan

I just did my regear project. I locked everything before i took the 3rds out. Make sure you disconnect the battery.

I think the most important thing is to make sure that they are in the locked position while your reinstalling the 3rds, so that both front and rear axles go in easier.

Once i got the axles in place, i unlocked it so that i dont apply too much pressure on the new gears.

Good Luck

Lock 'em.

I've done it both ways. I've heard of one guy that didn't lock his rear and somehow got the locking collar in the wrong position and couldn't get the rear axle to line up. The FSM recommends locking before removing the axles.

-B-

Thanks for both replys, I feel much better

-Juan

Do you need to regear both axles to 4:88's for 35 tires?

Do you have to remove axle from truck to regear or can you do it still connected to truck?

Thanks

You don't have to have 4.88 for 35s but if you regear one axle you have to do both unless you wan to drive 2wd cruiser or hear about the Big Bang theory. :D

Axles have to come out a couple inches to pull the third member out which is necessary for ring and pinion install.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom