Re-aligning knuckle balls? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Whats the best way to re-align knuckle balls on a FJ80 front axle?
(botched cut and turn, camber is off and yaw(? the ball pivoted a little i think) is not guaranteed to be right either... Im pretty close to the edge of the ball sleeve at this point in my multiple adjustments....

Most anything I can think of is much more difficult than getting another housing and try take 2.

Most anything I can think of is much more difficult than getting another housing and try take 2.

yeah, i know, but i am trying to salvage what I have already done to the axle housing...

My thoughts are if ya have to ask for advice on how to do this, you probably shouldnt do it.

Its not something yer just gonna learn by reading the internet.

If this was a plastic model it would be a "skill level 8". Directions arent going to help.

A bar is needed if ya dont know what yer doing.

If the ball is still in the sleeve a bar is not necessary. Just put the pinion up at whatever orientation you desire and then use some sort of degree indicator on the top f the knuckle to get the sides equal (~ 5* caster).

If the ball is still in the sleeve a bar is not necessary. Just put the pinion up at whatever orientation you desire and then use some sort of degree indicator on the top f the knuckle to get the sides equal (~ 5* caster).
Like this?
038987110061lg.jpg

He mentioned it being a camber problem not a caster issue. If its indeed a camber problem then the ends are cut strange or stretched or damaged and in need of some good handiwork to save and keep useable.

IDK?:meh:

The OP needs to tell us more.

He mentioned it being a camber problem not a caster issue. If its indeed a camber problem then the ends are cut strange or stretched or damaged and in need of some good handiwork to save and keep useable.

IDK?:meh:

The OP needs to tell us more.

first cut and turn, used a gauge like above and the margin of error was waay off... so i did it again, cutting inside of the weld i did, using a digital gauge got the caster equal and where i need it, but on one side, somehow the ball got bent or tweaked backwards so nothing would go back in, so i cut inside that jacked up weld and got it back straight and got the caster right, but the ball got angled down a little, so the camber is off.

I am either going to try to fix it, or send the balls to Brian Ellinger and have him make me a Diamond housing.... or find another housing and do it again... but i have not seen a housing for sale yet.

edit, where do I get a alignemnt bar? have not seen one for a fj80 axle, unless a Mini axle is similiar enough to use one made for that axle.

So, how much is the camber off?

And, how far over have you cut the housing? If you are right next to the end of the ball I'd just scrap the housing or run a sleeve over it to reinforce it. The diamond is an excellent option.

Honestly, setting the camber is about as tough as setting the catster. You can use the upper bearing race as a standard. It'll be indicitive enough. Camber values "acceptable" range is .25 to 1.75 deg. You can bolt the knuckles on there to give a good measurment on camber as well.

1.0 on the left and 2.9 on the right jacked up side. Both positive Camber.

There you go...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom