RE: Advice from FJ25 'ers' for my 1964 FJ40 (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@andybudge i think this part is for early starter, pls check. Its nos but dusty.

IMG_20230730_232514.jpg

IMG_20230730_232508.jpg

I have some brushes for you. Just pay postage or swap something little.

Andy,

Oz spec was floor shift for the transfercase. Would it be the same as a pto knob? I have had a few early rigs with the pto knob for the transfer floor shift here in the us. I have a knob I got from a tractor supply which looks very similar, its just a little bigger. Your welcome to it if it will work for you! Rig looks amazing mate!

B0DE9AAD-D642-4250-BBB1-EAD8650C88CD.jpeg

4ABACE96-E721-4923-941A-6F6893E7B270.jpeg

A55E6E75-B2F4-46A8-8297-0AA06CAD0382.jpeg

Andy,

Oz spec was floor shift for the transfercase. Would it be the same as a pto knob? I have had a few early rigs with the pto knob for the transfer floor shift here in the us. I have a knob I got from a tractor supply which looks very similar, its just a little bigger. Your welcome to it if it will work for you! Rig looks amazing mate!

View attachment 3421759

View attachment 3421760

View attachment 3421761
For what it's worth, early Jeeps (CJ2 specifically) had the same style knob but as a push on and later ones (I think from CJ5) had a screw on knob.

so, could you insert a helicoil to make it a thread on?
It's a rubber compound on the CJ2a so I would rather use the later style with a brass insert moulded in and a thin wall thread insert which taps its own thread instead of a helicoil which requires threads to be tapped first - Transfer Case Shift Lever Knob (screw on) Fits 66-71 CJ-5, 6 with single lever transfer case | Kaiser Willys - https://www.kaiserwillys.com/products/transfer-case-shift-lever-knob-screw-on-fits-66-71-cj-5-6-with-single-lever-transfer-case/

The WW2 style threaded knob does not have enough meat I think to tap it to metric, but it's a lot cheaper - Black Transmission Gear Shift Lever Knob (screw on) Fits 41-45 MB, GPW with T-84 Transmission | Kaiser Willys - https://www.kaiserwillys.com/products/black-transmission-gear-shift-lever-knob-screw-on-fits-41-45-mb-gpw-with-t-84-transmission/

Power Wagons and other Dodge based vehicles used similar knobs in WW2 and the market is full of these items. There might even be bakelite ones which are usable and rigid. My early Aussie 40's have good and intact knobs so I haven't had to look at it in detail

How does this happen? So many get chewed up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom