Rattle on the right side !! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a rattling noise on the right side. :mad:

In my case is the right side the driver side. It comes up when I turn right, never when I turn left. And I can hear it, when I go over some stones or other obstacles. I can't hear it all the time and it will stop when the road is smooth.

I have a shaky mirror too, but I don't think that the mirror can make such a noise.

I have already looked under the rig and checked the exhaust but I haven't found any problem.

Mike

Mike, I'm not sure if your exhaust routing is the same as on a LHD but the exhaust heat shields on the exhaust just in front of the catyltic converters often cause a rattle when a clamp breaks or comes loose and they are on the right side on a LHD truck. Small rocks can also get trapped in the cat heat shields themselves and cause a noise. I don't know about this happening only when turning right though.

does this noise happen at idle or only when moving? trying to eliminate possibilities. be more beonesque.
Dave

does this noise happen at idle

No, never at idle. Only on right turns and on bad roads. :'(

Mike

I have a nice rattle on the right side too, but in my case it is the sliders and the cats hitting. Whoopie!!!

Scott M suggested this in another thread. Check the front brake pads and make sure the clips are on them. It could be the pads rattling.
-B-

I checked the brakes. No problem there.

Mike

My 1997 LX450 also have some rattle noise when I step on the gas and going at around 15 to 40mph, but the rattle is most noticable when I have my windows open and passing on roads with two concrete dividers on each side. It sounds like it could be coming from some were in the exhaust or maybe the manifold sheild, but can't ready find were it's coming from. Like I said, it's noticable at speeds of around 15 to 40mph and when I excelerate on the gas pedal.

Selmin, you mentioned the heat sheild on the exhaust as a cause for rattleing noise, could this be my issue and if you or anyone have any suggestions?

>> the heat sheild on the exhaust <<

The heat shields are a common source of high pitched rattles.... kind of a clinking noise... tinny sound.

-B-

Bwuld,

Are you saying the rattle noise I have is the heat shield, if so how can this be fixed?

-J

wait until your truck is good and cold then slide under and check the heat shields that surround the exhaust pipes just to the engine side of the cats. I had the same sound symptoms and someone else on this board diagnosed it quickly as a common problem. The problem was a loose upper clamp but I had to push on the heat shield itself to figure it out. Replacement is a 5 minute jopb. If this is not it, pop the hood and check the upper heat shields and especially look for loose or missing bolts. Finally look in the louvers on the bottom of the cat shield itself for loose gravel that may be trapped in there.

Problem solved:

It was the exhaust. Like in Semlin's case I had a loose clamp.

Now my princess is smooth and silent as ever.

Thanks for all your advices.

Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom