Raptor spraying my 2004 gx. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I decided to raptor spray my 2004 lexus gx. The car was peeling very bad. I have already lifted it and gone through the motor refreshing it so decided to take build to the next level since I enjoy the car. The raptor color is going to be nardo grey from the new Audi. Going to use a nice paint gun with a 2.2mm tip. so far the trim tear down has been very simple. lots of clips and 10mm bolts and a few 12mm. ordered new window trim and oem headlights. a few new pieces of rubber to make it look like new again. Sanded the entire car with 120 grit. I am at the primer stage right now and using the upol epoxy primer on the whole car. trying to decide on rims and tire combo and roof rack to add.

Has anyone done there gx on here before.
20200521_172523.jpg
20200621_123017.jpg
20200725_183708.jpg
20200221_175640.jpg

55e5f113123592922061dbdd1d3972e5.jpg

Nice prep work! That's what makes a great paint job.

I decided to raptor spray my 2004 lexus gx. The car was peeling very bad. I have already lifted it and gone through the motor refreshing it so decided to take build to the next level since I enjoy the car. The raptor color is going to be nardo grey from the new Audi. Going to use a nice paint gun with a 2.2mm tip. so far the trim tear down has been very simple. lots of clips and 10mm bolts and a few 12mm. ordered new window trim and oem headlights. a few new pieces of rubber to make it look like new again. Sanded the entire car with 120 grit. I am at the primer stage right now and using the upol epoxy primer on the whole car. trying to decide on rims and tire combo and roof rack to add.

Has anyone done there gx on here before.
View attachment 2384298View attachment 2384300View attachment 2384301View attachment 2384303

View attachment 2384317

We are gonna spray our GX in a year or two. Most likely going to use the Kevlar stuff in a gun metal grey.

^ What they said!!

How does Raptor coating fare versus the traditional line-x, herculiner and etc? I’m new to these coatings and so I don’t really know the difference or what data points to use for comparison.

The off-road shop I’ve been using for my Charger mods does a Kevlar coating I’m keen on getting put on both the GX and Charger.

How does Raptor coating fare versus the traditional line-x, herculiner and etc? I’m new to these coatings and so I don’t really know the difference or what data points to use for comparison.

The off-road shop I’ve been using for my Charger mods does a Kevlar coating I’m keen on getting put on both the GX and Charger.
i really have no idea. i did some research before hand and decided on the raptor liner because it had more gloss and easy to repair if scuffed. i watched a youtube video of a white duramax and they posted a year after report and it looked the same. seems like most people ceramic coat their raptor liner after. i will prob do the same. seems like raptor holds up to uv rays better but not really sure. I have grown to love the lexus and will add long travel soon. I ordered bumpers and roof rack from uptop roof racks. The gx is definitely one of the better cars to drive out there.

I know not totally in theme with the raptor coat, bit you glossed over a deet I'm curious about (just apparently not so curiois as to REALLY dig up rhe details)...
Process on window trim. i started to pull mine but gouged the rubber seals and backed off

Hex head screws, check.. then some clips but where and process for how to pop them lose? I even broke a (ahem, cheap-o HF) trim tool. 🙊😆

Last edited:
I know not totally in theme with the raptor coat, bit you glossed over a deet I'm curious about (just apparently not so curiois as to REALLY dig up rhe details)...
Process om window trim. i started to pull mine but gouged the rubber seals and backed off

Hex head screws, check.. then some clips but where and process for how to pop them lose? I even broke a (ahem, cheap-o HF) trim tool. 🙊😆
I haven’t found a way to remove them without damaging them. Buy some new ones and rip off the old. I’m bedlining my GX with Durabak and just removed the trim yesterday. I used a plastic trim tool to pop the three clips but still bent the trim.

And back to OP. Thats a bummer the pearl isn't holding up, i think that's a rare and highly sought color. Maybe 03 more so.

BUT that aside, your prep looks proper and the color choice is great. Are you going to keep the fender flares off, ala @Vlad ?

I will make
Process om window trim. i started to pull mine but gouged the rubber seals and backed off

I haven’t found a way to remove them without damaging them. Buy some new ones and rip off the old. I’m bedlining my GX with Durabak and just removed the trim yesterday. I used a plastic trim tool to pop the three clips but still bent the trim.

The yellow hook stanley tool did great removed the soft rubber door trim and didn't break the tiny clips.

The outside window seal with the chrome was very hard to pop off without damaging. they use an adhesive on the right side maybe you can try and heat it up a little to soften the black goop. mine were very damaged coming off. I used the blue pry bar to just pop them off though. I wanted new ones to make the car look new again.

the rear window trim popped off with those three clips. but had to use a lot of force to get them to pop.

20200818_055321.jpg

20200818_161609.jpg

20200818_162119.jpg

And back to OP. Thats a bummer the pearl isn't holding up, i think that's a rare and highly sought color. Maybe 03 more so.

BUT that aside, your prep looks proper and the color choice is great. Are you going to keep the fender flares off, ala @Vlad ?

when i bought the car i wanted a pearl color. and looked for a while to find it.
flares are going back on. bumpers may not. I am looking at several options for a different set and also i didn't paint the roof rack. i ordered an uptop overland roof rack with the led lights.

Very nice, I raptor lined my old 96 Tacoma and was real pleased with how it turned out. How's yours holding up, still happy with it? Mind posting more pictures of the finished product?

Looks great!

I'm looking into Monstaliner on mine. I ditched the flares though and welding 96 trim holes is a lengthy process.

My color choices are the grey you used, the TRD Sand, or an old school OD green. I'll probably have the holes welded and be ready to pick a color around 2025 at the rate I've been moving.

Looks great!

I'm looking into Monstaliner on mine. I ditched the flares though and welding 96 trim holes is a lengthy process.

My color choices are the grey you used, the TRD Sand, or an old school OD green. I'll probably have the holes welded and be ready to pick a color around 2025 at the rate I've been moving.
I've had thoughts of doing lunar rock. Although I wonder if it would just look dumb without the glossy aspect of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom