Raptor Liner application (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm hoping to get some guidance on how others with experience have used the upol Raptor liner on their projects. I am planning to cover the bumpers, roll cage and then the floor of my 78 BJ40. I have the product, but all the instructions for preparation are if your using a spray gun. I know I have seen people say they have rolled it on to their projects before. Is the ratio of product and hardener the same regardless of how you apply it, spray or roll on? Also, I have the raptor epoxy primer. is it best to apply this to bare metal or painted metal? Thanks to everyone for your help and advice.

Ty

I would highly recommend spraying it. It'll be hard to get a consistent texture if you roll it. I suspect you'll also run into issues with it hardening before you can roll it all on, because the two part mixture causes a chemical reaction which causes it to set up fairly quickly.

Is the issue that you don't have a compressor? The schutz gun requires 40-60 psi @ 5-6 cfm, so you do need a medium-sized compressor for it.

I'm hoping to get some guidance on how others with experience have used the upol Raptor liner on their projects. I am planning to cover the bumpers, roll cage and then the floor of my 78 BJ40. I have the product, but all the instructions for preparation are if your using a spray gun. I know I have seen people say they have rolled it on to their projects before. Is the ratio of product and hardener the same regardless of how you apply it, spray or roll on? Also, I have the raptor epoxy primer. is it best to apply this to bare metal or painted metal? Thanks to everyone for your help and advice.

Ty
A $24 spray gun is going to make your life easier. I couldn't believe how easy and fast it went on. I've used it in the past (A cheaper version) Make sure you want it where you put it because its staying once it dries....Forever Mask well and spray it on *amazon

I would highly recommend spraying it. It'll be hard to get a consistent texture if you roll it. I suspect you'll also run into issues with it hardening before you can roll it all on, because the two part mixture causes a chemical reaction which causes it to set up fairly quickly.

Is the issue that you don't have a compressor? The schutz gun requires 40-60 psi @ 5-6 cfm, so you do need a medium-sized compressor for it.
Thank you so much for the information. I decided that I think I will be buying a spray gun and doing it that way. I have a small/medium compressor, but i think it will do the trick. Thanks again.

Ty

A $24 spray gun is going to make your life easier. I couldn't believe how easy and fast it went on. I've used it in the past (A cheaper version) Make sure you want it where you put it because its staying once it dries....Forever Mask well and spray it on *amazon
Thanks for the advice. I bought a spray gun and will be going for it once I have some good weather. Its very rainy this time of year in Italy.

I sprayed the inside of my tub with it and it is not my favorite. It's pretty hard so it chips when hard items hit it. Something with a slightly more rubberized feel would be better. I would also advocate for a good paint on the floor of the tub.

I raptolined my willys and I like it. I sprayed it.

20220831_192134.jpg

Yeah, I tend to agree that raptor is a bit too brittle. It needs to be more flexible to have the durability you need- something like Linex would be better.

As for the point about bedliner being risky for rust- I think I agree that if the bedliner is not applied to a properly prepped surface and it starts to delaminate, it can be hard to see that it's delaminating, because it's bonded to itself. In other words, it won't just chip off like paint when it delaminates. That could create a pocket for water to get trapped and rust underneath the bed liner.

But that is really only a risk if you don't prep the surface correctly. If you start with really clean bare steal, properly apply epoxy primer, and then apply the bedliner over the epoxy during its recoat window (usually 72 hours), delamination should not occur. People have bedliners in their truck beds, which are exposed to the elements day in and day out, and I don't tend to hear about peoples truck beds rusting out. It all comes down to proper prep and applying the liner over chemically compatible products.

I have a camper that was Raptor lined in 2010. During the last year the Raptor has cracked in multiple locations. My camper is fiberglass, so I don’t know if that contributed to the cracking or it the prep was not good enough in those locations, I bought it that way. It has lasted almost 12 years which is pretty good. I intend to remove any material that comes off easily, prep and respray it. If I get another 12 years I will be happy I think.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom