Random 70 series pic thread (8 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I continue to see wide body 70 series more often here in the states. I'm hoping they're all on stretched 80 frames, because otherwise I'm sure the DOT is going to enjoy crushing their ride.
I would think the fine folks at Customs would have bigger fish to fry these days. 😁

One of my Marines imported this right hand drive 75 to the US from Dubai. Had the new front end changed in UAE.

IMG_4897.jpeg

What engine? 😊
That's a 79 cab. 75 cabs have a removable roof and a folding windshield.
Nice. So is it an HZJ75? or? Because the 79 bodies are hard to put on 75 frames due to some differences.
Let's just say it blows black smoke and has a v8. I'm unsure how it got through.

Maybe a potential body swap for the whole thing, or maybe they put a different VIN plate on. VIN plate says a build date of 4/98.

I warned him of the dangers of customs turning it into a cube.

No leaf in front so it really looks like a 79.

I'm sure the people selling and importing that say it's a 1988 FJ75 with body swap , chassis swap, engine swap and drivetrain swap from a VDJ79. So swapped the only part not swapped is the piece of metal with the vin on.
This is my thought as well...

Purchased through "Method Auto Group" out of Dubai. I'd never heard of them, but online reviews are not exactly glowing.

So swapped the only part not swapped is the piece of metal with the vin on.
"Ship of Theseus".

My biggest worry would not be customs (historically lax, easy to confuse) but insurers. When money gets involved (say, after an unfortunate incident on the road) companies are very glad to find any reason to deny coverage... (and this is not just conjecture, but real-world instances).
Money talks. Hopefully your acquaintance is prepared to self-insure.

Purchased through "Method Auto Group" out of Dubai. I'd never heard of them, but online reviews are not exactly glowing.
I've never heard of them either. All I can find is a Japanese advertiser on instatram.

Dan, if you have a chance can you see if it is a 75 frame on it, and if so, take some photos of the front body panel attachment points? I've played with the idea of swapping the sheet metal on a beat up old pickup as an experiment, but the frame attachment poitns with the different wtidth frame have concerned me.

...and speaking of random 70 series, they were removing some long-abandoned vehicles in basement 2 of the building where I have my day job:
1685561748003.png

1685561788898.png

1685561844817.png

1685561886168.png

These tiny wreakers were incredibly cute and the normally aspirated chorus was quite pleasant to listen to.

The first production 1VD V8 diesel engines will not be legally importable until 2028.

The bi-turbo version of the VDJ200, not the version in the 70 series.
Oh well ….. 😊
I would hang an old extension cord from the front bumper and tell the authorities that it’s an EV with a slight knock in the electric motor. 😁

Last edited:
The bi-turbo version of the VDJ200, not the version in the 70 series.
Which they stopped selling in 2013 or 2014 ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom