rain leak dripping passenger side by glove box (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
so i’ve read all the leakage i could find on here. but i’m still dealing with mystery and looking for best fix.

testing so far using painters tape and a hose suggest the leak is somewhere around the top corner of passenger side windshield. after putting hose or glass of water on it water finds it’s way to bottom right corner of g box and drips to floorboard. moisture also trips a 7505 transmission sensor code. ps: Previous owner never removed roof rack—& i’ve ruled out any a/c leakage

i’ve used some windshield flowable silicon along the edge—but water is still finding. it’s way in.?

trying to decide next course of action? whether to try and remove flowable silicon and try different sealant?

has anyone on here had this issue and found success with sealant? btw-not keen on trying to remove whole original windshield :)

Thx for your input

I’m assuming you are only spraying water on the windshield and still getting water? Ie, not spraying on the sunroof? My leak came from the sunroof, specifically where the sunroof glass and the plastic trim around it.

Did you pull the trim piece on the exterior side of the windshield?
hi there. well, i pulled it back to apply trim adhesive as some was pulled back—but i noticed it was pretty warped and lumpy all the way down where it covers the rivets. Also notice a two inch gap at the top which i assumed was by design. i tried putting the flowable silicon over it all to try and block any gaps but i’m wondering if maybe i need to pull it all off and order new trim and try to seal underneath. what do you think?

I’m assuming you are only spraying water on the windshield and still getting water? Ie, not spraying on the sunroof? My leak came from the sunroof, specifically where the sunroof glass and the plastic trim around it.
yes. thx for clarifying question. i tested the sunroof and cleared out the gutters on both sides and no leaks . i believe it’s coming in somewhere between the front most post of the roof rack and the top corner (& maybe 8 inches in on the top of the windshield. then i think it’s finding it’s way down the pillar to the bottom of the glovebox. but there is no sign of water or damp down the pillar?

Have you cleaned the drain tube at the top right inside the sunroof? You have to use a weed trimmer cord to do it. I had my windshield replaced sever times because of leaks and discovered it was that tube was clogged. Open the roof and pour water in that tray in front part of sunroof while open. Then look below by wheel and see if it runs out.

hey
Have you cleaned the drain tube at the top right inside the sunroof? You have to use a weed trimmer cord to do it. I had my windshield replaced sever times because of leaks and discovered it was that tube was clogged. Open the roof and pour water in that tray in front part of sunroof while open. Then look below by wheel and see if it runs out.
. yah—-i tested again just now to be sure. i ran a weed eater chord down both sides. i think it might be originating at the top corner of passenger side—like right above the vanity mirror. just need to figure out how to seal that (ie if it’s above the glass on roof side or in front side of windshield. keep you posted on that one—thx!

hey

. yah—-i tested again just now to be sure. i ran a weed eater chord down both sides. i think it might be originating at the top corner of passenger side—like right above the vanity mirror. just need to figure out how to seal that (ie if it’s above the glass on roof side or in front side of windshield. keep you posted on that one—thx!
That specific area is known to rust at the lip where the windshield sits and mates to the OEM windshield seal. You can try dropping that corner of the headliner and gooping the crap out of everything, but the rust will continue, and the gap will probably grow.

so i’ve read all the leakage i could find on here. but i’m still dealing with mystery and looking for best fix.

testing so far using painters tape and a hose suggest the leak is somewhere around the top corner of passenger side windshield. after putting hose or glass of water on it water finds it’s way to bottom right corner of g box and drips to floorboard. moisture also trips a 7505 transmission sensor code. ps: Previous owner never removed roof rack—& i’ve ruled out any a/c leakage

i’ve used some windshield flowable silicon along the edge—but water is still finding. it’s way in.?

trying to decide next course of action? whether to try and remove flowable silicon and try different sealant?

has anyone on here had this issue and found success with sealant? btw-not keen on trying to remove whole original windshield :)

Thx for your input
Just wanted to leave an update. Found the leak was coming in at the top left of passenger windshield. Initially I tried to use flowable silicon for windshields—but water was still finding its way in. so i scraped as much as i could out and decided to try a different approach. I’ll put some pix below.
warning it may sound a little wonky but hey—it worked! I cleaned the area really well and taped it off and then applied Flex Seal clear. (3-4 coats) However i didn’t like the look of it as it didn’t set completely clear—so I used some extra plastic dip i had from my wheels snd grill. So i taped it off again and applied 2 coats. I went about 6mm onto the windshield and onto the roofline to make sure water would run over the gully. (essentially making a big piece of rubber tape to cover) Like i said—It’s working for now!
047EAEDC-B610-46DE-AF46-E51826952B77.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom