Continuous beeping warning tone after rain (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello All,

My 100 series car has had the well known issue of experiencing leaks after the rain. The water soaked into my electronics, and killed my battery.

I jumped the car, but the water has shorted out some connection that results in a continuous beeping warning tone when I pull my key out of the ignition.

The tone stops when the key is in the on position, or when the engine is running.

I was wondering if anyone knew what the tone was supposed to represent so that I could try to look at where the eletronic is shorting out and telling the car false information?

Here is a link to the tone:

Thanks a ton!! Appreciate the help.

Likely this area in the driver footwell fender wall just above the dead pedal, a ton of circuits come through there. You need to pull the black end cap off (not shown here), remove the single bolt in the middle, firmly pull out the white harness assembly and you can separate and dry out all the clusters of leads.

IMG_4283.jpeg

Likely this area in the driver footwell fender wall just above the dead pedal, a ton of circuits come through there. You need to pull the black end cap off (not shown here), remove the single bolt in the middle, firmly pull out the white harness assembly and you can separate and dry out all the clusters of leads.

View attachment 3553658
Awesome, thanks a ton for the help. It rained some more last night so I decided to disconnect my battery, and today some drying action occurred.

The circuits must have dryed out by the time I reconnected my battery today as I no longer got warnings thankfully!

I'm going to start looking into sealing the sunroof to avoid any more water leaking down - what a pain!

Thanks again for the help. Super useful to know where the problem is at, and the area around there was definitely wet last night.

Awesome, thanks a ton for the help. It rained some more last night so I decided to disconnect my battery, and today some drying action occurred.

The circuits must have dryed out by the time I reconnected my battery today as I no longer got warnings thankfully!

I'm going to start looking into sealing the sunroof to avoid any more water leaking down - what a pain!

Thanks again for the help. Super useful to know where the problem is at, and the area around there was definitely wet last night.
I would look at the windshield install and trim pieces before blindly sealing your moon roof and the leaks still happen. The moon roof "leaks" by design and if the drains are clear it drains out the front and rear

Following...

I'm also going through some gremlins, after dealing with the roof rack bolts, sunroof drains, and 3rd brake light, the only thing missing is the windshield.

The Body Control Module is inside that box apparently (left foot on 2005 MY), and can cause some weird issues if it gets wet.

Mine locks and unlocks itself all the time, except when the seatbelt is attached :meh:.

The other day was the first time that was a sound when I inserted the key in the ignition, didn't do it in 4 years of ownership.

Also there is a relay that activates sometimes, no idea what it does, but I can hear it activating, like when you turn the radio on and the antenna relay makes a sound... sometimes my battery is perfect after a week off, and sometimes it's almost dead after a day.

What worries me most is the door locks, impossible to know if the cruiser is locked or not, so I have to be extra mindful when I park it.

I'm seriously considering a new jump box/ fuse box with BCM after I figure the windshield leaking. Couldn't find one used, New is about $500 from Amayama, but need to confirm fitment. Not sure if needs reprograming.

Last edited:
Following...

I'm also going through some gremlins, after dealing with the roof rack bolts, sunroof drains, and 3rd brake light, the only thing missing is the windshield.

The Body Control Module is inside that box apparently (left foot on 2005 MY), and can cause some weird issues if it gets wet.

Mine locks and unlocks itself all the time, except when the seatbelt is attached :meh:.

The other day was the first time that was a sound when I inserted the key in the ignition, didn't do it in 4 years of ownership.

Also there is a relay that activates sometimes, no idea what it does, but I can hear it activating, like when you turn the radio on and the antenna relay makes a sound... sometimes my battery is perfect after a week off, and sometimes it's almost dead after a day.

What worries me most is the door locks, impossible to know if the cruiser is locked or not, so I have to be extra mindful when I park it.

I'm seriously considering a new jump box/ fuse box with BCM after I figure the windshield leaking. Couldn't find one used, New is about $500 from Amayama, but need to confirm fitment. Not sure if needs reprograming.
Yeah, it was a hassle finding out what was actually going on with the car every winter. I actually still have no clue exactly what is leaking.

Friend of mine clears out his drain tubes every year, but this time was told his drain tubes were clear and that there was no issue with it, and instead the mechanics recommended that he get a new sunroof seal. Only problem was he was quoted ~1800 dollars for the work. He's considering just sealing the sunroof at this point since hes had to clear out the drain tubes every year, and doesn't use the sunroof.

An additional friend also decided to seal her sunroof a few years back, and it worked for her so I'm thinking this is the route to follow.

The electrical issues are just too much of a hassle justify leaving the sunroof unsealed (assuming thats the cause of the issue). The rain shorted out my car and has:

1. Caused my car alarm and horn to go off non-stop, so I had to disconnect my horns out of fear that it'll disturb the neighbors! Happened multiple times.

2. Made my gas gauge inoperable for short periods of time (showing the low gas icon when I had a full tank. Needle was on E despite full tank).

3. Caused the brake alarm to go off when the key is pulled (video above in this thread)

4. Turned on my blinkers plus lights in my car, and killed my battery.

Enjoy a picture of grass in my car :)

20240114_160214.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom