Rain Gutter and Top Restoration (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Find that interesting. My 9/64 FJ45 had weatherstripping between the cab and the top. Bought replacement from Toyota but original weatherstripping was still there. My 9/67 68 model had both pieces. Had it since 74.
I could be wrong. I believe mine is a late '66 model.

So why did you end up using?
I got the Permatex adhesive when I bought the headliner from Cruiser Corp. One stop shopping.
Looking at their websites now it says use 2 cans. I don’t remember seeing that when I ordered and I used 1 can. That might be the issue. So if using Permatex get 2 cans I guess.

Took my time and finished the corner and rear glass. Installing the corners is much easier when on the vehicle.

IMG_1816.JPG

Looking good! I hope you have an easier time getting the top back on than I did. Get everything threaded before you tighten anything.

Looking good! I hope you have an easier time getting the top back on than I did. Get everything threaded before you tighten anything.

Good call. I was just thinking about how I am going to line up all the holes.

It's been a while since I have worked on the hardtop. I have been avoiding the fiberglass because I have no experience with it. I figured I would jump in and start chipping away. Today I cleaned up where the rivets were removed, then flipped it over and started removing some of the rough spots. I did not want to remove all of it because over half is in good enough shape. Next, I am going to lay down some glass and build up the spots that I removed.

Using a roloc with a shop-vac running right next to it helped keep the glass dust down.

This picture is pre-cleanup.
IMG_2115.JPG

IMG_2118.JPG

IMG_2114.JPG

I am getting close to riveting my hardtop (pictures included of course) and have been thinking about my visor. Is this OEM? I have only seen visors with 4 rounded cutouts on the bottom. My '67 is a late '66 (I think) if that makes any difference.

IMG_2147.JPG

I am getting really close to attaching the visor and gutter.

As far as the visor goes, the PO removed the rivets and used countersunk screws to attach it back the top ..... of course, they did.

Anyhow, that leaves me with some less-than-ideal mating surfaces for the rivets. I thought about using very little fiberglass bodyfiller to patch the countersunk holes, and then redrill the holes. I should be able to see where I filled things from underneath and redrill the holes.

Does anyone have a better suggestion? I am completely open to ideas.

IMG_24A287E1F6A0-1.jpeg

IMG_2197.jpg

Last edited:
I am getting really close to attaching the visor and gutter.

As far as the visor goes, the PO removed the rivets and used countersunk screws to attach it back the top ..... of course, they did.

Anyhow, that leaves me with some less-than-ideal mating surfaces for the rivets. I thought about using very little fiberglass bodyfiller to patch the countersunk holes, and then redrill the holes. I should be able to see where I filled things from underneath and redrill the holes.

Does anyone have a better suggestion? I am completely open to ideas.

View attachment 3127734
If you are planning to rivet it back, then yes, definitely fill the holes with fibreglass and re-drill. Alternatively you could find some nice stainless raised countersunk screws... Google Image Result for https://i.accu.co.uk/360/_APC/SHRK-A2/0_14.png?cw=100.0000%25&ch=100.0000%25&scale.option=fill&w=500&h=0&q=90 - https://images.app.goo.gl/aRPirSWEF5ZSCLHe7

Been a while, but I am back at it! All the sanding has been done to the bottom rim of the fiberglass.... least favorite job ever.

All the holes line up using clecos, so tomorrow, I will lay down some Sikaflex between the top and gutter like @zerotreedelta did on his rig.

I figured I would follow his lead since I am using his rivet tool to set the rivets :)

One thing i cound not do was get the front of the fiberglass to lay flat. I have given up on trying to since it would require more glass work and expertise than I have.

More pictures on the way!
IMG_3387.JPG

IMG_3388.JPG

Rivets are in. They came out OK, I think.

Now I need to lay down the epoxy seam sealer. Should I prep the channel, or just grease and wax remover and fill it in?

Also, not sure how thin that epoxy lays down. I have a 1 inch drop from the front middle to the sides. Is it still ok to use or does it have to be perfectly flat?

IMG_3392.JPG
IMG_3388 2.JPG

Rivets are in. They came out OK, I think.

Now I need to lay down the epoxy seam sealer. Should I prep the channel, or just grease and wax remover and fill it in?

Also, not sure how thin that epoxy lays down. I have a 1 inch drop from the front middle to the sides. Is it still ok to use or does it have to be perfectly flat?

I'd wager you're ok with just a good cleanwith wax/grease remover, but not sure what other prep you were thinking.

The 3M self-leveling seam sealer is pretty "goopy" with a fair bit of surface tension, and it's fairly thick if you fully cover the rivet heads. I suspect you'll be ok even with the bowing, but it's just a guess.

It's a lot like the clear two-part epoxy you find at any home improvement store in both smell and texture/viscosity - if you really wanted, you could probably bend up a little channel out of scrap, put it on a slight slant, and burn up a tube of that as a test for a couple bucks. If nothing else, it's a chance to play with how the material flows before cracking open the big tubes - once you start laying the bead, you do want to keep trucking.

Amazon product ASIN B0044F9KFI

Blow out the dust and degrease. The front of my top had a slight curve to it (maybe 1/2”) but I don’t remember it causing the epoxy to slump to the corners. The Eastwood product I used was fairly thick and needed some encouragement to spread out. Ambient temperature might effect how it flows. Kind of the thickness of honey.
Go for it and good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom