Radio not turning on. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello,
Radio is not turning on.
Its a factor unit with cassette and CD player.
Everything else in the cabin seems to be working perfectly fine.
So far i have checked to see if it is plugged in,
Checked the fuse (fine)

Dont have a volt meter so i cant check for.

The car was recently shipped from japan, could they have disconnected it from another source for the purpose of shipping it?

Hi. The first thing to check is the fuse. The fuse panel is down by the driver's right foot. The next thing I'd check is some of the leads coming off of the positive terminal of the battery. One of them might have gotten knocked loose. From there, I'd suggest pulling the stereo out and seeing if something pulled loose there.

If the problem really does turn out to be the stereo and you want to keep it OEM, let me know. I have a fully functioning unit that I pulled out of mine.

Hi. The first thing to check is the fuse. The fuse panel is down by the driver's right foot. The next thing I'd check is some of the leads coming off of the positive terminal of the battery. One of them might have gotten knocked loose. From there, I'd suggest pulling the stereo out and seeing if something pulled loose there.

If the problem really does turn out to be the stereo and you want to keep it OEM, let me know. I have a fully functioning unit that I pulled out of mine.
I checked the fuses seemed fine. I will try to get my hands on volt meter and check for power at the radio harness, if there is power it has to be the unit, right?
Did you replace your OEM unit with after market? if so how difficult is the wiring any plug n play harnesses?

I checked the fuses seemed fine. I will try to get my hands on volt meter and check for power at the radio harness, if there is power it has to be the unit, right?
Did you replace your OEM unit with after market? if so how difficult is the wiring any plug n play harnesses?
Forget the OEM stereo. It's a quality unit, but Japanese radios use a different frequency range than we do, so the radio will be all but useless to you. I stuck a cheap Sony head unit in there for the time being. Eventually, I'll replace it with a big double-DIN unit with a backup camera. Some people are all about authenticity, though.

Swapping out the stereo is easy, but there are some things you have to be prepared for ahead of time. You're going to need an adapter to match the new stereo output to the vehicle's wiring. They're easy to find. All Toyotas of that model year can use the same adapter. I got mine on Amazon.

You said you have the CD and tape deck, right? Is your stereo comprised of two stacked components? If so, here's where it can get tricky. There are actually two different stereo connectors in your dash. They're in parallel and they both do the same thing, but the connectors are different. Your current stereo is plugged in to one, but you want the other one for your new head unit. You may need to dig around a little to find it. You'll know you have the right connector when it matches the one on your adapter. Once you find the right connector, the rest of the installation should go by the book.

What else could go wrong? Some models have a factory amplifier located behind the panel over the left wheel well. If you install the new head unit and can't get any sound out of the speakers (or if it cuts in and out like mine did), you're going to have to bypass or replace the factory amplifier with your own. I've got some tips for that too, if it comes to that.

Good luck.

Forget the OEM stereo. It's a quality unit, but Japanese radios use a different frequency range than we do, so the radio will be all but useless to you. I stuck a cheap Sony head unit in there for the time being. Eventually, I'll replace it with a big double-DIN unit with a backup camera. Some people are all about authenticity, though.

Swapping out the stereo is easy, but there are some things you have to be prepared for ahead of time. You're going to need an adapter to match the new stereo output to the vehicle's wiring. They're easy to find. All Toyotas of that model year can use the same adapter. I got mine on Amazon.

You said you have the CD and tape deck, right? Is your stereo comprised of two stacked components? If so, here's where it can get tricky. There are actually two different stereo connectors in your dash. They're in parallel and they both do the same thing, but the connectors are different. Your current stereo is plugged in to one, but you want the other one for your new head unit. You may need to dig around a little to find it. You'll know you have the right connector when it matches the one on your adapter. Once you find the right connector, the rest of the installation should go by the book.

What else could go wrong? Some models have a factory amplifier located behind the panel over the left wheel well. If you install the new head unit and can't get any sound out of the speakers (or if it cuts in and out like mine did), you're going to have to bypass or replace the factory amplifier with your own. I've got some tips for that too, if it comes to that.

Good luck.

Good luck.

Although they are using different frequencies i was planning on using those Bluetooth devices so I assumed it wouldn't be an issue.

I think i will just go aftermarket if i can easily find the adapter on Amazon I will pull out the radio and dig around for the other connector some time this weekend.
I will also check out the amp as well.

By the way thank you for taking the time to reply!

What vehicle do you have?
It’s 12 volt, right?

I bought a wiring adapter like this online.
With it wired up to an aftermarket stereo it plugs into the factory connector in the dash.
Adapter

What vehicle do you have?
It’s 12 volt, right?

I bought a wiring adapter like this online.
With it wired up to an aftermarket stereo it plugs into the factory connector in the dash.
Adapter
Did you have the cassette and cd combo like the one attached below
6716F9F0-3D03-4BBA-BC0C-831E6ECA4E1C.jpeg

No.
I had the older radio above and tape deck below.
I still wager it’s the right one for you.

Then I lose the bet.
How much did it cost?

I think I paid less than $10.
Does your system have a factory amp?

Oh.
I have never seen one of those.
Will you keep it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom