Radio Install turned into leather dash (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

45acp

SILVER Star
Threads
What started as a "I want a bluetooth head unit" in the landcruiser, turned into cleaning up the previous owners wiring mess and redoing the dash. For the head unit I choose a BLAUPUNKT Vermont 72. It is very basic, about $25 on Amazon.

I bought a whole hide from Tandy Leather; it was an almost exact match to the dark brown dash.

For filling the cracks on the dash I used epoxy for plastic, and for the speaker area, expandable insulation foam.

At the instrument cluster area I had to resort to a "baseball stitch" as there was not enough stretch on the leather to go around all the sharp angles.
I used contact cement to glue the leather to the dash.

Here are some before and after pictures. The only area that is not finished is the trim around the radio.

IMG_1381.JPG
IMG_1382.JPG
IMG_1426.JPG
IMG_1435.JPG
IMG_1437.JPG
IMG_1449.JPG
IMG_1504.JPG

IMG_1378.JPG

Wow that’s pretty cool. How well will the leather hold up to sunlight, do you think?
That is a concern. It is good quality leather, probably thicker than what is used on factory leather covered dashes. I live in California's Central Valley where the heat and sun can be tough during the summer. For protection I'll use the standard screen shades that block direct sun. Long term when the windshield comes out, I will put a clear ceramic tint to protect it from UV.
I will give updates on how well the leather holds up.

Last edited:
Very very nice.

Lots of high end vehicles come with leather dash and doors. How much for the hide?

Wonder if there isn't a UV protectant liquid you can use to give the leather a bit more protection from that Central Valley sun?

Very very nice.

Lots of high end vehicles come with leather dash and doors. How much for the hide?

Wonder if there isn't a UV protectant liquid you can use to give the leather a bit more protection from that Central Valley sun?

The hide was about $100 plus tax, purchased at the local Tandy.

The key with leather is to prevent it from drying to the point of cracking and breaking the fibers. As long as I treat it with a quality leather product if should be fine. I have used this stuff Outback Survival Gear - Leather Seal & Conditioner - https://www.outbacksurvivalgear.com/products/outback-leather-seal on some Courtney boots with great success.

Outstanding work! I love that idea. A little over a year ago I scored one of the few remaining NOS OEM 62 dash pads for my 62, but once it eventually begins to deteriorate (it did take about 25 years got my old one, which I drove that way for a long time) I'll have to give this a shot. Was there any stretching involved or were you able to just lay it down and adhere it? Very nice look on the baseball stitch too.

BTW I dig the username. It's my go-to caliber.

Outstanding work! I love that idea. A little over a year ago I scored one of the few remaining NOS OEM 62 dash pads for my 62, but once it eventually begins to deteriorate (it did take about 25 years got my old one, which I drove that way for a long time) I'll have to give this a shot. Was there any stretching involved or were you able to just lay it down and adhere it? Very nice look on the baseball stitch too.

BTW I dig the username. It's my go-to caliber.

There was a some stretching in the area of the instrument cluster and around corners.

A 62 dash has smoother lines; I think you can do it far easier than a 60. There is only one area, circled, that might require patience. If I were doing a 62 dash I would start the glueing process at the circled area.

IMG_1515.jpg

Would you be willing to do another one? For me? $$$?

If you were local, I would consider it. As is, with shipping both ways, leather and labor, you would end up with a $400-$500 dash.

As for the removing of the dash cover, you do not. Your repair the damage with the filler of your choice, sand it smooth, and then you cover it with leather.

If you were local, I would consider it. As is, with shipping both ways, leather and labor, you would end up with a $400-$500 dash.

As for the removing of the dash cover, you do not. Your repair the damage with the filler of your choice, sand it smooth, and then you cover it with leather.
Still better than Just Dashes. A few years ago I was looking at $1,500 PLUS freight both ways for my 62 dash. Thank God I found new OEM.

we use this stuff in the outdoor and boating industry, it helps stainproof too. i have poor luck with the sprayer head from them tho..

303 UV Protectant Spray - Ultimate UV Protection - Helps Prevent Fading And Cracking - Repels Dust, Lint, and Staining​

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom