Radiator Upgrades (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Silvercruiser,

Yep, this topic got a little "off topic" right from the start. Per C-Dan's info, the older radiators sound like they have more capacity and would likely cool better. But before you try that, what kind of distilled water/coolant mix are you running? If you are now in warmer weather, you might consider going to a 90/10 distilled water/coolant ratio and dropping in a bottle of this:
http://www.redlineoil.com/redlineoil/wwti.htm

I've seen some pretty large water temp drops just by doing those two things (starting from a 50/50 ratio). Would not hurt to try for the under $20 it would cost you.

Mike

Silver,
Your question is likely to be lost in this thread and you may be better served by starting a new thread.

Some of the things we'll need to know about your '96 are:
1. What options are on the engine? (e.g. S/C?)
2. What options are on the truck (e.g. Front ARB with 14 Hella 4000's?)
3. What conditions?  (ambient? altitude? towing? speed?)
4. Rad maint history (rodded? green/red/orange? thermostat? head gasket?)
5. Define "a bit too hot"

Overheating problems (and most all problems) are tough to diagnose without some background information.

-B-

Silver,

Mike has some very good ideas there. (Beo too, I was in the middle of this when his post hit)

One thing you said is bothering me. A stock 1FZ, not too heavy, OK 2 row radiator, should not overheat.  It seems to me something else is up.  Fan clutch maybe?

I'm gonna ponder this for a while......

back to periscope depth..............

Because of the fan location -RS - and shroud confiruration the rad can become blocked on the LS. You can't see this because it's between the A/C condensor and the rad. Very hard to pressure wash since you can't get it from the back because of there are no holes in the shroud on that side. From the front you may also have a cooler there plus it's behind the condensor. Here is mine when I pulled it for the new replacement. The picture is just as it was in the vehicle.
Bill

MTS, thanks for the advice I'll give that a shot. Beo, I will pay more attention next time the cruiser overheats and get back to the group with specific info. Thanks for helping me organize my thoughts on this issue....

Holly cow Bill! :eek: Looks like your vehicle injested an entire small animal through the radiator! ;)

Mike

I have it on good authority that it was a Llama................. ::)

.......One down Bill.............. 8)

-H-

Snake oil for the rice boys.

-B-

-H-

ROTFL. &nbsp:Did he make it over here or did SOR shut the doors before he got the message?

-B-

-H-
We had a serious question from a guy on the SOR forum. He was asking about rigging up up a CPU cooling fan in the air filter or something.

Hope you weren't serious.... I made some crack about installing a hamster wheel and so on.
:D
-B-

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom