Radiator Question for you FJ45 owners with A/C (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

love2fly

Flying the Mountains of the NW
Threads
I have an 1982 FJ45 that has a radiator that may need to be replaced depending on if it can be repaired. Had a small seep now seems to have a bit more than a seep. My radiator is the larger that stock size radiator due to the A/C option (23 5/8" wide and 21 3/4" tall).
I am considering a 4 row all aluminum type that only comes in the stock 40 sizes.
Question for you guys that may of had the same problem as I in replacing this size radiator, did anyone make mounting extensions brackets with holes for installing into the wider radiator cradle and did the inlet and outlet hoes match up when installed.
If I could find a good core for my all brass radiator I would have the tanks removed and make a new radiator, but even the cores can't be found as I am told, even to modify one.
I contacted Champion who makes the after market radiators and I am trying to convince them to maybe build a few to the larger size as I have, but this is still on the drawing board.
So any modification needed, or things to watch out for info or any input is welcome.

Cheers

copy rad.jpg

Last edited:
Just get an American radiator bracket. Bunch of us have spares. I have a champion 3 core, I won't tell you yet if I have cooling issues. Not enough miles on it to answer that question. The other 45 does not have ac and I put a new oem radiator in it. It does not overheat. But it is not driven in hot weather as it doesn't have ac. You have a 2f? I can't remember what engine you have. I did slide my radiator back towards firewall as far as it would go, and mounted my mesh grill as far forward, and mounted the center emblem forward of the bib to give as much clearance as possible for the condenser. Easy button get usa market radiator mount. One thing to consider, I believe the spacing for the studs at the bottom of the mount for us spec are different than what you have. Might need to mount them wider. But that also might allow you to slide it towards the firewall a 1/4" or so. You also might need the us market shroud

Call Georg at Valley Hybrids @orangefj45 he sells Terrain Tamer radiators that are supposed to be reproductions of Toyota original brass and copper units.

Erik - yes it is a 2F but of the right hand drive type. Does not have the A/C but was an option hence the larger radiator. It has PS .
Yes the shroud was my other concern but since the shroud mounts to the cradle along with the radiator I may get lucky and it will center on the aftermarkets center on the core. If not mistaken there is all most a 2" difference with the non A/C and the A/C models radiators. I believe the non A/C are 21 3/4 wide from mount flange to flange. That's were I am thinking if I found one I would need to extend the mounts area with a bracket on each side to keep it centered. Also not sure if the inlet and outlets would line up, may not be a big problem but after all the years of LC this would be my first were I would have to use a non standard radiators.
The US radiator mounts are actually not that easy to find at least from what I can tell. Had a post for one in the wanted section and no bites.
We use to have 4-5 radiator shops in a 20 mile radius now we have only one and he is thinking of retirement.
Not just folks like us with brass radiators but were I am this is also a farmers community and I cant tell you how many tractors and so on would suffer if this guy closes shop.
Ever price a John Deer radiator? Talk with local shop today and they are swamped for 5-7 weeks with radiator work.
Times are a changing with the crappy plastic trow away radiators found now, that was one reason I got hold of the Champion radiator company.
I believe the Terrain Tamer radiators are of the FJ40/45 size (stock) non A/C, but I will get hold of Georg he's a good man.

Thanks guys

If you decide you want a us spec radiator holder I prob have a spare I can send your way. I'll have to check for a spare shroud. Whatever I send might need a little restoration work but functional.

PM sent

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom