Radiator for 1HZ options (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I'm finishing up my turbo install into my HZJ77 and thought I'd get the radiator checked since it weeped a bit in the past. Bottom needs fixing.

Now fixing my current three row brass radiator will cost me approx $200 after taxes.

Another option is getting an aluminum radiator from Australia on eBay. This with shipping would be $300. I don't know what they are like so if anyone has experience with them please let me know.

Lastly I can add a row to my current radiator which would be best since I am adding a turbo. This however would be close to $500.

So I guess what I'm asking is the OEM three row fine or could it use more cooling capacity? Is the aluminum route a good one or is poorly manufactured and a bugger to fit?

im not sure how many 70's follow this section . might want to try the 70's section. i know for my 80 series 1hdt with auto i bought a gasser 80 replacement brass brass ( manufactured by performance ) i wanted something i could fix in the feild vs plastic/aluminium (factory) or all aluminium . both of which would cool better especially with the auto. note none of any of the rads were for a turbo ,let alone a diesel. i have been running hard with the brass brass with zero issues for a few years now.

I paid for this one a week ago, should be here any day now will let you know how it fits http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Toyota-4...=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item20e39d8a3d

The old one is starting to weep around the top tank crimps, and i think i can see small cracks starting to appear in the top tank. The 80 has done close to 400,000 kays so not sure if its the original radiator or not, still cools perfectly though.

thanks for the replies. Not too many options with a 70 series to take a radiator from another model and swap it over. A four row aluminum rad will certainly meet your cooling needs.

So far leaning towards fixing mine or turning it into a four row. Just don't want to spend the cash unless its necessary.

long story short, i chose OEM over the options with less R&D.

after months of deliberation, it dawned upon me... why have i never heard a single 70's owner rave on about the huge cooling improvements they gained when they changed a perfectly good OEM aluminium/plastic radiator for one of these "heavy duty" brass or 'race quality' aluminium jobs. I think its because the OEM is engineered to be as efficient as possible in that little space due to the narrow nose.

my new OEM is still being imported. i am on my second brass copy that i can't say it has been really any better than my slightly overheating OEM which I discovered had an epoxy patch (impact damage) from previous owner hidden behind the
condenser. i drove it like that unknowingly with only minor overheating issues for years, so who says you can't repair aluminium to get you home. lets face it, the 70's are so precarious for overheating that if you damage a brass job and can solder close the damaged tubes, you really want to replace it anyway, as any loss of efficiency through a few clogged tubes is going to make a significant difference.

hey to be clear my brass/brass rad and the aluminium/plastic were both after market, under $300 all in ,picked up from just under the port man bridge. and it is the same model gas v/s diesel rhd or lhd.

thanks for the replies. Not too many options with a 70 series to take a radiator from another model and swap it over. A four row aluminum rad will certainly meet your cooling needs.

So far leaning towards fixing mine or turning it into a four row. Just don't want to spend the cash unless its necessary.

OEM HZJ75/77 radiators are available through normal Toyota ordering in the US. 16400-17080

I think the HDJ78/79 has a larger capacity radiator,but its aluminium with plastic tanks and not cheap. I bought a Taiwanese made radiator,virtually indistinguishable from the OEM radiator a few years back,worked well.

called a cruiser shop and it seems the factory brass three row is adequate. I will run mine cleaned and sealed. If I need more cooling capacity it's good to know that the aftermarket options seem to hold up well.

I would go bigger if you are running a turbo,or at least keep it in mind for the future. Many of the 1HZ turbo problems on this forum relate to the coolant system.
Dont forget to get a new cap unless you are sure the old one is 100%

Thanks Rosco. Ever since I called the shop my decision has been tormenting me thinking about the time and money that has gone into this install making everything the best I can and then doing something mediocre to finish it off. I'll go the four row route as it makes me feel better.

If the 3 row has been repaired,just use that until the cash is there for the 4 row.

It hasn't been repaired yet so I'd like to take advantage of adding a core while it's out. I've already done everything coolant related so removing the radiator in the near future is not something I want to do.

I really dislike dealing with antifreeze.

4 core works well, worth the investment
the new aluminum is not a direct bolt in so if you are not up to a bit of fabbing then best go with 4 core.
cheers

Thanks Crushers

Fab work is something I get a lot of enjoyment out of. However I get a lot of pride knowing the percentage of genuine Toyota parts that are in my cruiser.

Yes it's easy enough but it's just one of those thing I don't like. Dishes are pretty easy and my hands are clean when I'm done but it's not my favourite pass time

I have no problems with brake clean, oil, or grease on my skin even though I know I shouldn't. Antifreeze on the other hand I dislike the smell, the feeling of it on my skin, and the fact it's always messy because it's impossible to drain all the fluid from the system. I also have a poor set up with lots of cats in the neighbourhood, a wood shed I call my shop with little storage, and an uneven dirt/gravel/saw dust exposed driveway I do this all in

Just a personal preference thing.

i hate antifreeze as well.
the smell
the way it sticks to your skin
the way it can slowly kill and animal if you spill it ... slow painful death. i am extremely careful with it outside the shop.

Well called the shop today and they already fixed it instead of turning it into a four row. Bummer. If it presents problems I'll go the aluminum route but I don't think it should.

Either way I'm excited since after all I saved some cash and this was a major hang up for me driving my cruiser again. Hopefully this week I'll be driving turbocharged.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom