Radiator Cover? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey ya'll, here's my situation. My fan clutch went out a few years ago on my 76 2F. It was during the middle of the summer and the engine was overheating real bad, so I just JB-Welded the beast to bypass the clutch part. Well now that i have a radiator that actually flows (the stock one was a POS), and it's winter, the engine doesn't get hot very fast and it never really comes up to a good operating temp. Does anyone know if I could use a cover like you see truck drivers do on their 18 wheelers? anyone know how i could fab one up or where i could buy one from? Thanks ya'll...

Jeff

When I operated my junk in somewhat cold weather, read sub-zero F temps for highs, I just covered the lower half of the radiator with cardboard....worked great for a couple months...just tuck it in between the bib and the radiator...

:beer:

medium pepperoni comes in a box with ideal surface area + water resistant grease

Poser said:
When I operated my junk in somewhat cold weather, read sub-zero F temps for highs, I just covered the lower half of the radiator with cardboard....worked great for a couple months...just tuck it in between the bib and the radiator...

I added this aftermarket option myself a little while ago. Cheapest thing I have done to a cruiser.

funny thing.... I think that I used a pizza box at one time too....

My 83 BJ42 has a retractable curtain in front of the rad--who knows, if a Canuck is parting a BJ, you might be able to get an OEM solution, but that would be a little more trouble than ordering a pizza.

I put an 82 degree t-stat in mine because 3B heads don't like heat at all and climbing hills in 90 degree F summer weather would get the temp guage up there. Consequently, it underheats now in the winter unless I pull the shades down a little. Do you have a low temp t-stat in there?

B

It's an OEM stat, so I don't know what the temperture rating of it is. But tonight I put in a piece of cardboard as ya'll suggested. Used some bailing wire and attached it to that front bib piece. Working great so far... i've got about 3/5 of the radiator covered. Hopefully it doesn't overheat, in the 10 minute drive I took it got up to standard opperating temperture, it drove 70% better.

Just do not forget that it is there after it warms up a bit....

HawkDriver said:
Mine was running poorly today too....

TBI should cure your issues...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom