rack placement (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just picked up a garvin wilderness rack for cheap, what are people's thoughts on where these things should sit? Not quite full length, so does it make a difference if its centered or placed further rearward? sorry for the nondescript picture.

Thanks for the input
wily2.jpg

I'm by no means any sort of expert, but I'd say it makes sense to have it further forward, from a weight distribution standpoint. Basically, you've got more roof pillars in a smaller area towards the front, and whatever weight you put in the rack would be better centered over the two axles, which should mean better load carrying and better stability.

But, again, I'm no expert. I'm sure there are some other factors in play. Like, maybe having it further back makes for less wind resistance? I'm sure some people with more real-world experience will be able to give you a more definite answer.

I'd agree about weight distribution, but on the other hand, all the way back makes for slightly easier access since you can stand on the tail gate to get to the rack.

I'm by no means any sort of expert, but I'd say it makes sense to have it further forward, from a weight distribution standpoint. Basically, you've got more roof pillars in a smaller area towards the front, and whatever weight you put in the rack would be better centered over the two axles, which should mean better load carrying and better stability.

But, again, I'm no expert. I'm sure there are some other factors in play. Like, maybe having it further back makes for less wind resistance? I'm sure some people with more real-world experience will be able to give you a more definite answer.

On the other hand, moving the rack back a bit puts the towers directly over the pillars and gives you ease of loading the rear part of the rack. I'd say for most folks, it's a non-issue. However, if you plan on loading it down, I'd move the rack back and bias the heavy stuff towards the front of the rack.

it helps to reduce wind noise if the rack is farther back.

Definitely noticing some new drag/noise on the highway. This seems like the best case for moving it back. On the upside, no need to use the brakes anymore.

No kidding about the drag. I found that a half rack cost me around 1.5 or 2 mpg.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom