Rack Fitting with Snorkel Help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I could use some help from some of you more gifted and creative GX owners! I went to put on my new Sherpa Quandry rack today to hold our RTT and realized it won't easily fit as designed because my snorkel outlet blocks the end on the side panel and possibly the windscreen for the rack. So it seems my obvious options are:

1. Get a different rack. Hate to go down this road since i already mounted the main three cross bars and i likely couldn't return it plus i would hate to wait again on something else.

2. Mount the RTT to the three cross bars and leave off the side panels and the windscreen. Kinda hate this option to because I've confident the three crossbars are plenty strong enough to support the tent it won't look as cool and i won't be able to use half of the Sherpa rack i bought.

3. Cut some notches into the snorkel outlet to make room for the end of the side panel and the windscreen.

4. And this is the long shot I'm hoping for.... :) Anyone out there have a Black GX470 with stock passenger side front fender you be willing to trade for my snorkel, modified vendor and airbox? I really have no functional need for a snorkel given where we live and hw we use the GX so in the long run would rather not have a snorkel at all. Any takers?

Happy to send more pictures and info on the snorkel if anyone is interested in the swap.

Otherwise happy to hear any other ideas anyone has.

Thanks!

sherpa mounting challenge.JPG

I have the Lenz design snorkel too and a Prinsu rack. I had to cut the fairing at the edge of the snorkel for it to fit. I wouldn't recommend cutting the snorkel.

A metal cutting blade and a jig saw made easy work of it.

PXL_20220218_055341370.jpg

I have the Lenz design snorkel too and a Prinsu rack. I had to cut the fairing at the edge of the snorkel for it to fit. I wouldn't recommend cutting the snorkel.

A metal cutting blade and a jig saw made easy work of it.

View attachment 2929199
Appreciate the advice! Why would you not recommend cutting the snorkel? Any other options you tried or would recommend instead?

I’d cut the snorkel before the rack.

Mainly because a replacement wind fairing is about $50 and if you mess up the snorkel it will cost considerably more to replace.

I also had concerns about water running in if I cut enough of the snorkel to let the rack fit and my last concern was if I cut the snorkel enough to let the rack fit, the rack would be sitting up against the cut, blocking air from flowing in to that area. Basically cutting the air intake surface area in half. I'm not an engineer, but that seemed like it would choke the engine, or at the very least not allow the design of the snorkel to feed air the way it's supposed to.

My buddy locally has the same rack and snorkel and cut his the same way as I did. No issues.

Mainly because a replacement wind fairing is about $50 and if you mess up the snorkel it will cost considerably more to replace.

I also had concerns about water running in if I cut enough of the snorkel to let the rack fit and my last concern was if I cut the snorkel enough to let the rack fit, the rack would be sitting up against the cut, blocking air from flowing in to that area. Basically cutting the air intake surface area in half. I'm not an engineer, but that seemed like it would choke the engine, or at the very least not allow the design of the snorkel to feed air the way it's supposed to.

My buddy locally has the same rack and snorkel and cut his the same way as I did. No issues.
ah okay makes sense. I somehow read your reply as you HAD cut the snorkel. Thanks for the advice.

No, for clarification, I cut a very small portion of the passenger side side rail, and cut a roughly 3"x6" area of the wind fairing. I made a template from the snorkel, traced the shape onto the fairing and cut the fairing with a 14tpi metal cutting blade on a jig saw. It's aluminum and it cut fast so go slow.

If I ended up removing the snorkel, I could replace the fairing easy enough at a minimal cost. I'd more likely just make another one, but if you don't have that ability, they're cheap. WAY cheaper than a snorkel.

After another look and more detailed measuring I decided I'd rather cut the snorkel than the rack side panel and the windscreen. Not my best work but some black Gorilla tape will protect it well enough and it'll be pretty covered once I drop tent down on the rack. Eventually want to lose the snorkel so I really didn't want to ruin the Sherpa rack by cutting it.

30130F6D-2E1B-4B39-B2E0-22A6306EA0FC.jpeg

DEFAFE48-3299-4086-9565-BDB8F589DA25.jpeg

D89832E9-8199-4ECC-A9D6-765018DED849.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom