Quincy QT-5 air compressor (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

alia176

SILVER Star
Threads
Any of you have any experience with a QT-5 air compressor? I was curious if it's a loud SOB! I can't seem to find a DB level on Quincy's tech spec. Sounds like the QR series units are a quiet bunch from what I've read.

Found a local unit for a asking price of $500 for a 60g vertical and was curious if it'd be worth hooking up the trailer and driving for a bit to grab it.

Thanks.

Been running a QT-5 for about twelve years now. No complaints. It does have a good solid sound to it, but not objectionable. I've heard little oilless compressors that are louder.

Been running a QT-5 for about twelve years now. No complaints. It does have a good solid sound to it, but not objectionable. I've heard little oilless compressors that are louder.

Thanks for the feedback. What is a good price for a ten year old unit, in your opinion?

I bought mine new for $1100 - that was for the Heavy-Duty, 5 HP, 2-Stage, 80-Gal Vert unit. I see that the similar model is now $2100.

I'd say that if it was well cared for, you're getting a steal at $500 for it.

I bought mine new for $1100 - that was for the Heavy-Duty, 5 HP, 2-Stage, 80-Gal Vert unit. I see that the similar model is now $2100.

I'd say that if it was well cared for, you're getting a steal at $500 for it.

Ok, that gives me a starting point. This one is $500 asking price. 5hp Baldor, two stage, 60gal vert. Supposedly came out of a shop so dunno it's service history.

Thanks for the info.

Agree with PAToyota. I have a QT-5 I bought new in 2003, 5hp, 2 stage, but mine must not have been the heavy duty model because I have a 60 gallon vertical tank, not 80. I seem to recall another 5hp model at that time. Mine was about $1100-$1200 then in 2003. It does have a good solid, deep sound. While I wouldn't call it loud by any means, it does kind of give you a startle when it kicks in, if you're not expecting it.

Sounds like a great deal. I have a 1968 Quincy qr-25 and it will probably outlast me. Mine is geared to run the pump at 900rpm so it's pretty quiet, kind of like an old washer on spin cycle.

As long as it wasn't run out oil, it should be fine. Not much to go wrong on those Quincy's. If so, they are not hard to rebuild and customer support is great. I was able to still download my owners manual and parts list as of last year and all rebuild parts are still available.

Sent from my iPhone using IH8MUD

Sounds like a great deal. I have a 1968 Quincy qr-25 and it will probably outlast me. Mine is geared to run the pump at 900rpm so it's pretty quiet, kind of like an old washer on spin cycle.

As long as it wasn't run out oil, it should be fine. Not much to go wrong on those Quincy's. If so, they are not hard to rebuild and customer support is great. I was able to still download my owners manual and parts list as of last year and all rebuild parts are still available.

Sent from my iPhone using IH8MUD

TOOO FUNNY I have one from 1968 as well! paid $150 for it and we tossed another $150 at it, the logo actually was one of the most expensive parts!
Before
2011-01-23_14-56-20_897.jpg

After
2011-03-20_11-25-34_950.jpg

IMHO the best compressor you can own. Just sold this beast below for $1200, the largest piston Quincy makes.
IMG_7198.JPG

Thanks bmorefj40, Hoping to make it up your way this weekend to check out that rack since I won't be on call, or at least I'm not scheduled to be on!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom