Quick question - OK to reuse coolant? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm changing the heater T's today and have drained 1 gallon into a clean jug which previously held distilled water. When I'm done can I reuse the coolant or should I use new? I have a gallon of Toyota coolant concentrate but it might be nice to return it since it cost almost $50!

Thanks,
Chris

Sure you could try doing that.. but why not have the piece of mind knowing its new. Just change it.

OK unless old and in need of replacement anyhow.
Just filter it through some cloth (old T-shirt) first.

It's not old. The water pump was replaced with the timing belt 20K miles ago.

Thanks,
Chris

Hows it look? Clear or cloudy? 20k miles but how many years old is the coolant? If close to or more than 3yrs add new coolant to refresh.

Or better flush completely and add all new coolant. 36months is a good change interval to keep anti corrosion properties of coolant at max potential.

The coolant was clear and changed less than 2 years ago. I've already put it back in. Looking down in the radiator, it looks brand new. I wasn't really set up to do a whole coolant flush today anyway. I just needed to get the T's changed so I could drive it. The hot side broke off as soon as I touched it.

Chris

This is one of the many reasons I use a universal coolant, not only is it safe for our trucks, it is cheap. Cheap enough to dump onto the ground and not think twice about pouring in new.
$8/gal for the 50/50 Prestone that I use.

But please, do not dump your coolant onto the ground, it must be recycled. It kills grass, fish, and anything else that comes in contact with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom