Quick question: Are there hoses on the FZJ80 that can only be reached / replaced by taking the intake manifold off? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Well, the one below the heater valve outlet (from the hardline to the block) is a PITA, but it, in theory, can be replaced without removing the intake. I gave the matter some serious thought, though. You have to have really small hands and really thin forearms; I used a child. And removed the running board, mudflap, wheel and inner fender liner.

The hose from the the number 3 radiator outlet (the one everyone breaks when they lean on the radiator) runs from front to back under everything, but it's on top of the valve cover. Mostly.

Other than than, not that I'm aware of.

The fuel filter is another PITA under the intake. I used a child for that, too.

Many things are 'possible' but I can't imagine replacing the hoses with the intake on the vehicle.

There are about a dozen hoses total that go to the intake and at least 10 of them are not easy to reach. Additionally, if they've never been changed, some of them will be on there pretty tight and others connect to fairly fragile plastic fittings.

Upper Intake1.jpg
Upper Int6.jpg

Last edited:
Many things are 'possible' but I can't imagine replacing the hoses with the intake on the vehicle.

There are about a dozen hoses total that go to the intake and at least 10 of them are not easy to reach. Additionally, if they've never been changed, some of them will be on there pretty tight and others connect to fairly fragile plastic fittings.

View attachment 2494019View attachment 2494020
This^ plus removing the upper half of the intake allows better access to the coolant hoses mentioned before. I'm 6'1" and have fairly thin forearms and I still don't think I can reach every hose on the engine without removing some stuff. Just the way it is.

If you take the vertical support bar off the driver side of the intake, and remove the blue gas vapor control valve from under intake, you can reach all those vacuum hoses under the intake, on a 96-97 at least.

I recently replaced / added external VSV valve with intake on in an effort to take care of p0401. After all that time fumbling around and feeling under the intake, I should have just taken it off which is what I will end up doing when I get more parts to do the heater control valve and PHH while I have the intake off.

Great info, thank you everyone!

View attachment 2494019View attachment 2494020
Great pictures by the way! Side question, the red-ish /orange and dark blue plastic plugs with wires comin out of them, what do they do specifically? Do you know?

Great pictures by the way! Side question, the red-ish /orange and dark blue plastic plugs with wires comin out of them, what do they do specifically? Do you know?
Those boogers are the reason a lot of people have P0401 codes. That was what was wrong with mine, green/blue one was toast.

Training a small monkey with long skinny arms to do mine and other impossible jobs. May hire him out to others.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom