quick MPG question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I am currently running 35s with stock gearing (going down to 4.88 soon though) but currently at stock. I have an Ultragauge thats giving me a reading of roughly 9.5 mpg....
1. How accurate is the Ultrgauge reading?
2. Does this pass a sniff test for accuracy given my wheel size and gearing?
3. And if not what should I start looking at to increase it... not that I am too concerned but want to make sure that it is too low that it isn't a bigger issue.

Thanks Y'all!

Before my stock bodied 1FZ moved to 37s, I consistently saw 11-12mpg 35s + 4.88.

Do a GPS mileage based MPG check next time you fuel up.

Yeah this is a good call.... wasn’t sure if should double check the reading from the gauge and be lazy or got this route... I’m also doing a lot of town driving and I’m in a hilly part of the East Bay (Bay Area) which might account for the low mpg. Also have it in PWR all the time....

1. How accurate is the Ultrgauge reading?
Only as accurate as your calibration.
FWIW, I spent a good amount of time calibrating my UltraGauge to make sure my readings were correct.
6 or so multiple mile trips with a GPS trip meter running at highway speed to get the distance correct, multiple fuel fill ups to get the fuel consumption correct, etc.
It takes some time and effort, but once it's done your readings are accurate and consistent.

FWIW, I spent a good amount of time calibrating my UltraGauge to make sure my readings were correct.
6 or so multiple mile trips with a GPS trip meter running at highway speed to get the distance correct, multiple fuel fill ups to get the fuel consumption correct, etc.
It takes some time and effort, but once it's done your readings are accurate and consistent.
Yeah this ^^^ my calibration was spot on until I added drawers and rear bumper (I think that changed it) I've gotta recalibrate it now. When I fill up my DTE is usually like 1 or 2 gallons off.

Curious @jonheld what range are you getting on your ultragauge for DTE?

Yeah this ^^^ my calibration was spot on until I added drawers and rear bumper (I think that changed it) I've gotta recalibrate it now. When I fill up my DTE is usually like 1 or 2 gallons off.

Curious @jonheld what range are you getting on your ultragauge for DTE?
Added weight and/or drag should effect MPG only which is used in conjunction with the fuel level to give you DTE. The distance calibration shouldn't change.
As for the range of DTE, that will depend on driving conditions so I'm not sure what you're asking me.

Added weight and/or drag should effect MPG only which is used in conjunction with the fuel level to give you DTE. The distance calibration shouldn't change.
As for the range of DTE, that will depend on driving conditions so I'm not sure what you're asking me.
Oh yeah I get that it will affect mpg with extra weight..

I'm just curious what you/ others get average range on a full tank..

I'm just curious what you/ others get average range on a full tank..
Again, it will all depend on driving conditions. My MPG fluctuates between 11 and 14, so my DTE will change.
The key is to use the same station/same pump when you fill up, and to be consistent in the way you fill up (how many clicks, etc) and to get a receipt and compare that to the reading on the UG during calibration. I found that it takes about 4 fill up calibrations to get it real close.

Again, it will all depend on driving conditions. My MPG fluctuates between 11 and 14, so my DTE will change.
The key is to use the same station/same pump when you fill up, and to be consistent in the way you fill up (how many clicks, etc) and to get a receipt and compare that to the reading on the UG during calibration. I found that it takes about 4 fill up calibrations to get it real close.
So does the ultragauge do real time calibration? Like for example I'll be in the 11 range for weeks when driving around the city. Then off on a road trip and I'm still getting city DTE around 260, oppose to like it use to read 325 or so.

I suppose it's best to recalibrate when doing a road trip oppose to city driving?

Seems like my mpg and dte is stuck on city driving, I would have figured after a recent 1100mi trip it would have recalculated towards highway mpg.

So does the ultragauge do real time calibration? Like for example I'll be in the 11 range for weeks when driving around the city. Then off on a road trip and I'm still getting city DTE around 260, oppose to like it use to read 325 or so.

I suppose it's best to recalibrate when doing a road trip oppose to city driving?

Seems like my mpg and dte is stuck on city driving, I would have figured after a recent 1100mi trip it would have recalculated towards highway mpg.
Again, it depends on what your average MPG reading is.
The other thing I do is reset average MPG and trip meters at every fill. This gives me an idea of MPG per tank, and also keeps me aware of any sudden change.

Any threads on here around the calibration process? Honestly I didn’t know there was one....

Maybe someone will post but otherwise you can visit their site and download it. It's detailed out well in their manual

What!!? read the destructions from the actual manual!!!? That’s crazy talk! ;)

Yeah this is a good call.... wasn’t sure if should double check the reading from the gauge and be lazy or got this route... I’m also doing a lot of town driving and I’m in a hilly part of the East Bay (Bay Area) which might account for the low mpg. Also have it in PWR all the time....
This🤘🏾🤘🏾🤘🏾🤘🏾🤘🏾

12.5-13.5 mpg

35s
Stock gearing
Front and rear metal bumpers
Sliders
Roof rack
24gallon aux gas tank (full)
Driving carefully and mindful of gas

I just do it by checking the mileage on odometer and adding 10% (ish) to account for thechange due to tires. Not the most accurate and should do a gps run soon but that’s what my reading is. Sub 10 is super possible with a led foot or driving over 70mph on the highway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom