Quick H55f swap question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am planning to swap my 4 speed for a 5 speed and this is kind of a stupid question, but all the threads I read talk about fj60's after 4/85 being a direct swap. Mine was built in 4/85 so I assume this would include mine, or is it everything after that starting in 5/85?

This is the part number I am using 33030-6450

Will my gear shift lever from my 4 speed work in the H55f?

Any other parts i need to get like the oil pipe etc.

Thanks for the time, it is just an expensive order so i want to make sure i get it right!

Chad, you can tell if it will be a direct swap by looking at the tranny/t-case.
If there is a cast-iron spacer behind the transmission main case and in front of the aluminum transfer case, then it is a long 4-speed, which is dimensionally identical to the 5-speed, so the d-shafts, tranfer case shift linkage, etc will all work for the 5-speed.

Yes, it requires a t-case rebuild kit, plastic oiler pipe, 5-speed shift lever, pipe plug for the hole in the front of the t-case...

81-84 H42 with no spacer between T & T:
tcase-001.jpg

Tranny assembly with spacer for 5th gear between tranny & transfer:
caleb-and-tranny-014-jpg.430643

Thanks so much @FJ40Jim. I definitely have the spacer so that is good to know. The h55f is on the way, and I had already ordered a rebuild kit for the transfer case, so I just need to order those other parts you mention.

Chad, you can tell if it will be a direct swap by looking at the tranny/t-case.
If there is a cast-iron spacer behind the transmission main case and in front of the aluminum transfer case, then it is a long 4-speed, which is dimensionally identical to the 5-speed, so the d-shafts, tranfer case shift linkage, etc will all work for the 5-speed.

Yes, it requires a t-case rebuild kit, plastic oiler pipe, 5-speed shift lever, pipe plug for the hole in the front of the t-case...

81-84 H42 with no spacer between T & T:
tcase-001.jpg

Tranny assembly with spacer for 5th gear between tranny & transfer:
caleb-and-tranny-014-jpg.430643

If only the four speeds with the spacer were all setup with the extra shift rod on the top.:rolleyes: Had a hard time finding a picture of a four speed with a spacer. A Mudder in Australia was having a hard time believing Toyota actually added a spacer on the back without a fifth gear inside.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom