Questions for those who have installed Holley Sniper. (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm wrapping up the sniper install on my 85 FJ60 and have a few questions:

What is everyone using for the tach signal(yellow wire) to the Sniper? I'm running the stock fj60 Dist./ignition and I read where it won't work if you hook it up to the - side of the coil like the instructions say.

Where did you connect the pink 12v ignition wire? On other vehicles I have installed the Sniper kit on, I tapped into the fuse panel but I don't see a clean way to do that on the FJ60.

Where/how are you mounting your handheld display? I'd rather not use the suction cup deal to the windshield unless I have to. I'd love to see some pictures of creative brackets/mounting solutions y'all have come up with.

I did the tach wire on the negative side of the coil, works fine. I also did the ignition positive to the positive side of the coil and has worked fine. The instructions say to attach the negative to the coil. They say not to put the positive to the coil, but I couldn't come up with any real reason not to do that. It is simply a switched 12v +.

I did the tach wire on the negative side of the coil, works fine. I also did the ignition positive to the positive side of the coil and has worked fine. The instructions say to attach the negative to the coil. They say not to put the positive to the coil, but I couldn't come up with any real reason not to do that. It is simply a switched 12v +.

Are you running the stock ignition box/coil? There is a post on here where someone said theirs wouldn't start when hooked to the coil and they had to move it. Maybe they had other issues.

I just tapped into the stock tach wire with the pink wire.

I know I use the DUI but I use the stock ignition wire. The large gauge on Anything with clean switched 12v. I have seen people have issues adding a relay here.

This is the best spot to me. I know you said no suction but it’s pretty nice there

00F9F793-39FC-46BC-977A-7A131F85BB60.jpeg

I know I use the DUI but I use the stock ignition wire. The large gauge on Anything with clean switched 12v. I have seen people have issues adding a relay here.

This is the best spot to me. I know you said no suction but it’s pretty nice there

View attachment 2193741

That's where I want to mount my display, just need to figure out a clean method. Might try to build a bracket that comes off the defrost vent screws on the side of the dash.

I was looking at using the old fuel shut off connector for 12v ignition source. That would eliminate one of the many unused connectors on the DS inner fender I have since I desmogged it.

That's where I want to mount my display, just need to figure out a clean method. Might try to build a bracket that comes off the defrost vent screws on the side of the dash.

I was looking at using the old fuel shut off connector for 12v ignition source. That would eliminate one of the many unused connectors on the DS inner fender I have since I desmogged it.

i used a screw on base for GPS on my pig

9876402C-EF1A-4DB0-B9DB-462C75693BED.jpeg

How did you mount it? Can you see it ok at a normal driving position?

no, you can't see it great in that position. Im redoing my dash in the future, so for the time being I just stuck a sheet metal screw through the bracket that came with the sniper. And like I commented I was excited to block the choke pull.

I think the optimal position is going to be where wngrog put it. The bracket off the side vent might work out well. My thought process was that I would like to have it for the first couple months after install but that I would not want it long term and would likely just hide it back behind the dash. However, I have found that I like the coolant temp monitor and digital voltage monitor. I find myself looking at that more than the stock manual gauges. So, I might end up doing something more permanent in the future.

Just to update, I got it running last night and it seems to run perfectly, I'll put some miles on it this week.

I used the - side of the coil for the tach signal(yellow wire) and the 12v ignition wire(pink wire) went to the black/yellow wire in the fuel shut off connector that used to go to the carb.

I'm sure there are other ways to do it but this worked for me. I'll try to come up with a mounting solution for the hand held display this week and post my results.

Too bad the FJ60 doesnt have the dash of the FJ62 as that dash has that nice double din slot.

Just to update, I got it running last night and it seems to run perfectly, I'll put some miles on it this week.

I used the - side of the coil for the tach signal(yellow wire) and the 12v ignition wire(pink wire) went to the black/yellow wire in the fuel shut off connector that used to go to the carb.

I'm sure there are other ways to do it but this worked for me. I'll try to come up with a mounting solution for the hand held display this week and post my results.

That is a good idea on the fuel shut off wire. Keep us updated. That would eliminate the need to run the pink wire across the engine bay.

I haven't had much time to drive it this week, probably have about 15 mins of run time since the first start. I wanted to check the cold start so I let it sit for 24hrs (in my heated shop so coolant temp was mid 70's). It started perfectly and probably a little faster than my new F150. Here's the video:

View attachment 2193741
Have a link for that mount...picking it up off the floor is getting old. Lol

I haven't had much time to drive it this week, probably have about 15 mins of run time since the first start. I wanted to check the cold start so I let it sit for 24hrs (in my heated shop so coolant temp was mid 70's). It started perfectly and probably a little faster than my new F150. Here's the video:

Incredible...right? And a huge LOL at that being a 'cold start' ...come visit me at 9800' some morning 😊🤣😂🤣😊😂 id kill for a garage

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom