questions changing oil (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have the Bjowett filter. Using an oem filter how do you insert it into the housing? Do you use the white adapter that comes with the oem filter? Where does the rubber gasket go on the housing?
I'm missing something. I changed the oil lat night and seem to be down a considerable amount of oil now.

I have the Bjowett filter. Using an oem filter how do you insert it into the housing? Do you use the white adapter that comes with the oem filter? Where does the rubber gasket go on the housing?
I'm missing something. I changed the oil lat night and seem to be down a considerable amount of oil now.

The OEM filter goes over the perforated metal holder in either direction.

The white adapter is not used with this filter.

The large rubber gasket goes onto the upper grove on the housing...I use a bit of silicone grease on the gasket before I install it.

Maybe a silly question, but did you transfer the perforated tube over to the BJowett cap from your stock cap?

I’d be leery of anything silicon based going onto or into the engine unless it is specifically listed as O2 sensor safe, personally.

I just lube the o-ring with some clean oil from the jug I'm about to pour in the engine.

Is this gasket on the wrong place?

3617885E-5F07-4A98-AE60-5EFFB8173F0C.jpeg

Yes. It goes in the groove above where your picture shows...i.e., the bottom groove is NOT where it goes. Sounds like you didn't get instructions on the filter.

ok so your talking about the gasket and it is in the wrong place?

I've been on a creeper under the Lexus for the last two days. Who needs directions ! Paint fumes may be getting to me.

EDC5EDFA-D1F5-49CB-937C-447443731D2C.jpeg

174D76E2-E239-488C-ADC8-A3AB7BE62ED8.jpeg

Yes, that. So you just slide the filter over that perforated tube. Throw away the white plastic drain tube and small o-ring that came with your new oil filter. The large o-ring goes in the milled groove on the outside of the filter housing below the threaded section.

Your o-ring is in the wrong groove. It goes in the next groove up. Looks like i was wrong. Crossing out since it is corrected later in this thread.

Last edited:
That rookie move cost me $84 and a switch to Mobil One 5-20. 😭
Thanks hankinid and charlieS.
Next on the list. Change the globes....

It’s my recollection that the o-ring position shown in post #7 IS actually correct. Does anyone still have the directions to confirm?

Here is from the original Toyota filter housing package. This is the aluminum housing but the same location for plastic one.
1662353076655.png

Here is from the original Toyota filter housing package. This is the aluminum housing but the same location for plastic one.
View attachment 3106341
So the o-ring in post 7 photo is in the wrong place, right? It should be in the upper groove, right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom