Question for anyone who installed a DIN stereo in a 60 series (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
For those of you who have installed, or had someone install a DIN chassis stereo in a 60 series (maybe not a 62, since the dash is different)... did you run into any problems?

As you may have read in a previous thread, part of my new sound system consists of a Sony CDX-GT610UI stereo. I got it at Best Buy and they offered free installation. Today I went to get it installed and the guy said it can't be installed in my truck. He said there's nothing to attach the sleeve to, and also said that the entire dashboard has to come out. So needless to say, the stereo wasn't installed. (he also said he's been installing stereos for 15 years... but never in a Land Cruiser). Tsk, whateva!

In case it makes any difference, mine is a 1984 BJ60 with a 1980s aftermarket, 2 knob style stereo currently in the dash. I hope there's a simple adapter I can make or buy, or is this a tough job best left to a professional stereo shop?

Last edited:
yah I installed my own stereo. It was pain...

basically you use the bracket that you bend all the tabs to hold it in place, and you need to use a strap in behind to support it. Then slide in the new deck.

Play with it, you will see it isn't too bad.

I used the upper spot. You could use the lower slot where the cubby hole it. I think you could fit it in there.

Ah, so it's not as easy as I was hoping. I've put stereos in a few previous vehicles and it was so quick and easy - just slide it in and it locks in place. Not so with a 60 series Land Cruiser I see. If a stereo shop charges a reasonable price, I'll get them to do it. Otherwise I'll see if I can do it myself this weekend. Hopefully I have some spare time for that.

As for the little cubby below, I was hoping to put in a CB radio. Maybe a new one though... one that's a bit smaller and has a microphone jack at the front. My current CB is a bit too big for that cubby hole and the mic cord is at the side. Or, if it's easier to install the stereo in that spot, maybe I'll do that instead. Thanks for the suggestion.

A MIG welder... now there's an idea... If all else fails, use brute force! Haha! ;)

It wasn't my finest work, but I stuck my mig gun in the dash and welded the din plate in......:doh:
LOL! Hopefully u don't need to change it anytime soon. :D

Pardon my ignorance, is 'DIN' mounting the rectangular 'cage' the radio slides into...with the cage mounted to 'something' ?

IF so, did sort of what was mentioned above
- took dash cap / cover/ whatever...off
- folded existing radio mount wings 'out of the way'
- drilled & pop-rivit cage to old mount (with folded wings...)

Took a while to do, but I also did a lot of 'spring cleaning' in areas
that haven't seen the light of day in a while,,,,like 21 years :)

Just do it yourself Peter. I don't like others doing stereo installs for me. When you do it yourself you know you did it correct.

I either use really good shrinkable buttsplices to join the wires, or I solder them. There is only two wires per speaker(easy to wire) and two power wires. One ignition the other hot. And a ground wire. Also an antenna jack.

Easy as pie. I like installing it my self As I know the mount is secure and the wires secured and tie wrapped in good spots.

Nothing like driving along and hearing a speaker shorting out cause the bone head just twisted the wire and electrical taped it.

You can just twist the wire and electrical tape it. But there is right way and wrong way.

You probally could do it with the dash still in the truck. But it is much easier & you can do a better job with the dash out. I just bent those metal braces inwards (both of 'em) & slid the radio in there using the metal braces as sort of a spring tensioner & then supported the back with industrial zip ties. May appear funky but it is really very secure.

Taking the dash out is quick & simple. Your 1st time may take 45 mins. or so but it's one of those things that would only take 10 mins. if done again.

John

So one question.... if they refused to do the install did they give you a discount on the deck or anything else? I think they should.

So one question.... if they refused to do the install did they give you a discount on the deck or anything else? I think they should.

Haha, yes, there's a bit of a story to that...

They were originally not going to do anything, saying installation was free and and if I didn't take it there was no discount. I told them it's not that I was voluntarily not taking it, but rather they were refusing to install it. Anyone else could come in, pay the same price for their stereo and drive away with it installed.

I had to speak to a manager and they agreed to install the front speakers for free (not that they were that hard to put in, I could have done it myself - drilling 4 holes and splicing the wire - but at least it wasn't a wasted trip that way). It had to drive almost an hour each way to the store, so at least I got something installed. The manager also gave me $10 off the Sony Xplod 6x9 speakers I bought. A nice gesture, and I appreciate that, though I'd rather have had the stereo installed as originally promised.

The real kicker is that as soon as I got there, the installer went on his computer to check if it needed a dash kit, and within 30 seconds discovered it needed a custom installation. If only they could have done that when I was there on the weekend booking the appointment. They claim they don't do custom installations, but when I was there on the weekend, some guy with a nice '65 Mustang was getting a stereo installed in his glovebox with new speakers and complete new wiring. And they say they don't do custom work. I guess it depends what you drive (a 1980's daily driver BJ60 isn't as classy), and if it's near the end of the day when they just want to go home...

Haha, yes, there's a bit of a story to that...

They were originally not going to do anything, saying installation was free and and if I didn't take it there was no discount. I told them it's not that I was voluntarily not taking it, but rather they were refusing to install it. Anyone else could come in, pay the same price for their stereo and drive away with it installed.

I had to speak to a manager and they agreed to install the front speakers for free (not that they were that hard to put in, I could have done it myself - drilling 4 holes and splicing the wire - but at least it wasn't a wasted trip that way). I had to drive almost an hour each way to the store, so at least I got something installed. The manager also gave me $10 off the Sony Xplod 6x9 speakers I bought. A nice gesture, and I appreciate that, though I'd rather have had the stereo installed as originally promised.

The real kicker is that as soon as I got there, the installer went on his computer to check if it needed a dash kit, and within 30 seconds discovered it needed a custom installation. If only they could have done that when I was there on the weekend booking the appointment. They should do that for all vehicles they're not 100% sure about or that they don't see on a regular basis. Plus, they claim they don't do custom installations, but when I was there on the weekend, some guy with a nice '65 Mustang was getting a stereo installed in his glovebox with new speakers and complete new wiring. And they say they don't do custom work. I guess it depends what you drive (a 1980's daily driver BJ60 isn't as classy), and if it's near the end of the day when they just want to go home...

mine flops around a bit, and I used tin strapping on the back.

I welded in a DIN sleeve to the studs on the bottom of the dash pad. Hopefully pics below tell the story.
aaarad1.jpg

aaarad2.jpg

Hmmm.... maybe I should get a stereo shop to put it in for me. I don't have patience for work like this, especially in tight spaces, and if I mess it up, it could cost a lot more time and money.

Nah. You'll end up doing a better job. At least on my 60 I had to mess around with it a bit to get it to be stable & look decent. Many of those installers can do OK with a slip in & slip out install. But if you have to mess with it ...you'll have more patience than they will....it's your truck.

It's not hard really. I bought a plastic 'plate' that slips over the back of the radio & is the thing you see at the front of the radio. It cost $4.95 from the shop that I could tell did not want to tackle my job as it was not a straight install. Had to trim that a bit.....trial & error type of thing. Really pretty easy.

John

I just stuffed mine in there - its not "professional" by any stretch of the imagination, and if I wanted to uninstall it, it would take about 4 seconds.
I basically just put a brace under the stereo to support its weight.
But, its in there and works fine.

Really Peter just give it a go. I did not pull the dash off. It did take some swearing to get it in there. But the wiring is simple.

The mount with the bendy tabs worked for me. I did not have to weld in a DIN sleeve. But that is a very cool install shown above. Way more solid than mine.

Pull it all apart and start looking.. worst case you drive around with a hole in your dash till you get'r sorted :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom