Question about Sarari Snorkel (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.marklowimagery.com
After I completed the instalation yesterday, a friend came by to see what it looked like. He asked me about what happens when it is raining and you are driving down the highway, doesn't rain get into the snorkel from the opening? I was not sure about that either so I wanted to see what others have to say about this issue, if it is even a real issue at all. I'm sure water does get in there but where does it end up? Surely it can't get into the breather but I don't see what is keeping that from happening.

Mark

Study the head of the snorkel. You will see 4 slots cut at 90 degree intervals. those slots direct most of the water out of the snorkel. The remaining water will end up in the snorkel body and into the air cleaner housing. there is a hole in the bottom of the air cleaner housing where the cyclonic dust cup is located. It should head that way. It would have to be raining really hard to be an issue. A more serious issue would be snow or freezing rain blocking the intake at speed. In that case I plan to loosen the clamp and spin the head around, facing it backwards. That should prevent freezing it up.

D-

plenty of guys in australia run the head backwards for mud comps and offroading

Thanks... I figured it was designed with rain in mind. I found the cup on the botton of the breather housing and pulled it off to check it and it was packed with dust/dirt, it looked like the inside of a vacume cleaner bag. I figure that it has never been checked/cleaned so I emptied it and washed everything very good before putting everything back together. There are one or two little rubber fittings on the bottom of the cup itself, are those for draining in the event water does get inside? If so, is it supposed to do it automatically or would you have to check it periodiaclly?

Another thing that happened as soon as I finished the install and started the engine. The check engine light came on, so I popped the hood and looked to see if something was left disconnected, and the only thing I had not completed was tightening up the OEM hose clamps on each end of the part that connects the filter fousing to the throttle body. I tightened those and it felt like the idle smoother out a little and leveled out but the light was still on. I drove a little bit and after about ten minutes or so, the check engine light went back off. Was this just the engine adjusting itself, or the computer readjusting to the new air flow produced by the snorkel???

Mark

Imagery,
How was it cutting that huge hole in a perfectly good fender? Not sure if I could do that myself, I don't think I could even watch ::)

Got any pics of the rig with the new snorkle?

[quote author=Imagery link=board=2;threadid=5750;start=msg45645#msg45645 date=1064779361]
Was this just the engine adjusting itself, or the computer readjusting to the new air flow produced by the snorkel???
[/quote]
Yes, without the hose clamps tightened, air is getting in where it normally doesn't, making funky things happening. Your good to go since the light went off.

It would be a good idea to pull the code/s to see what the ECU detected before assuming all is good-to-go. In addition, the system should be re-set so that the current trouble codes do not show up in the future and disguise any subsequent problems.

D-

Yea I will take some new pics of the completed instalation. IIt feels like it runs so much better with the new snorkel and K&N.

What do I needd to do in order to pull the codes... I assume I will need to take it into the service department and have them do it for me. Is it possible for one to obtain a Toyots service meter to run the diagnostics myself as per the instructions in the OEM Repair Manual. Or is the meter way to expensive and therefore not feasible to own one for my own testing? YOU KNOW, THE ENGINE PERFORMS CONSIDERABLY BETTER NOW WITH THE NEW SNORKEL INSTALLED. It shifts higher and seems to be a little firmer, it sounds like it breathes better and I can really hear a difference now especially with the new Flowmaster 50 series muffler. I will have the codes checked and cleared so that they will not be present if something should come up again in the future.

Mark

Mark,
You have several options on pulling the OBD-II codes.
* If you have a friend or a local Mudder with an OBD-II reader then give them a call
* Your local AutoZone might do if for free; they do in some locations.
* Your local mechanic can do it for a minimum fee (probably not free.)
* Your Toyota dealer will do it but probably not free
* You can buy an OBD-II reader. (See recent posts)
-B-

Hey that reminds me about semething I saw this weekend on TruckTV or car&Driver. It was a computer diagnostic device that plugs into the ECU and it asks you certain questions and depending on your answers, it reprograms the computer for better performance, fuel economy, stronger automatic transmission shifting etc. They said it was avaliable for many car makes out there but they did not mention Toyota. I forgot the name of the device and they do have a web site but I did not think to write it down. Has anyone heard of this and if so, is it something that could be worth the investment? They said that once you plug it into your car, that is the only system it will ever recognize so it can not work on other vehicles you may own.

I found an OBD II reader online for about $400.00. It was on a web site which handles Toyota Special Service Tools. I haven't decided yet if I want to get one or just find someone who can do it for me. I guess if I had my own, I could run diagnostic tests on my system to be certain everything is up to par, but I don't know enough about that stuff for it to do me any good as of yet. The factory repair man does have some good information and once you learn how to read it, there are alot of testing procedures that it covers.

Ok I'll check it out. I found the product that was shown on horsepower tv.com.

It is called the Max micro Tuner Programmer by Superchips.Inc. I'll try to find more info and in the mean time, I will look through the forum for past threads on the topic.

Mark

Mark,
Search for keyword OBD-II or maybe just OBD.
-B-

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom