Question about hand throttle operation (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm curious about how the hand throttle works in someone else's early 70 series diesel. Mine does the job but it can spin infinitely in both directions with virtually no resistance - I undulate throttle with my foot and turn until it sticks at the rpm I want. I'd like to know if that is normal or if there is meant to be a stop for max/min plus resistance when you turn it up without using the pedal in tandum. If I don't use the pedal I can still turn it with no resistance and it does nothing, at least I would expect resistance. I ask because I was doing some PTO activities and after I lowered it excessively, ie got back to normal idle but kept turning it anyway. The cable to the pedal became dislodged. Seems like something isn't right with it, but could be chalked up to some inteded driver responsibility. I'm not sure, it doesn't act as nice as any other hand throttle mechanism I have used but also doesn't appear to have any broken parts or things missing.

Check that it's not spinning in the dash. There is a knurled nut behind the handle and if its loose you are turning the entire cable jacket back and forth and not the actual cable. They can work loose over time.
Cable just goes to the accelerator pedal and moves it. You should not have to touch the pedal. It's a very basic design.
There is no min/max. Min is just idle and max is however far you care to wind the handle out.

Thanks, I'll check out that nut today. Good to know there isn't supposed to be a built in stop. Just want to get it working properly but don't have a comparison.

Using it for the PTO is great, even if it's not the intended use. Having a stable increased engine speed without sacrificing torque by gearing up is a big plus. Anything problematic with this that I'm overlooking?

I added a hand-throttle to my gear stick on my 47 - the factory 'idle up' knob was never a great design.

That's interesting, how does it work exactly?

Hooks up to the same attachment point on the throttle pedal that the factory knob used to hook up to, moves the throttle through the full range of its travel.

1593380813711.png

That nut on the back was in fact a bit loose. Tightened it up and it seems to work as it should. At least it turns up and down without the pedal and feels smoother.

Knowing it's working right now, I don't really like how it is. I might try something else like duncanrm or see if I can make an old Mercedes one work in it's place. Just seems like Toyota really skimped out on this part. It feels more like a cheap aftermarket mod than a factory installed feature.

Just seems like Toyota really skimped out on this part. It feels more like a cheap aftermarket mod than a factory installed feature.

Ive had them on a 60 series and 3 x 7* and they all worked perfectly. I think they suffer abuse from previous owners who don't know how they work.
Bit of spray on lube works wonders
You take a lot of strain off them if you add some foot pressure to the acc pedal while you turn the knob.

I agree, I don't have any issues with mine once I adjusted it.
Having had several hand throttles on my Rovers, I actually prefer the Toyota ones location. I use it all the time when I am winching to idle the truck up to keep the alternator charging. I like being able to reach in the window to do it instead of hanging all the way to the center of the truck.
And, yes, it's not technically a hand throttle. That's nothing but semantics however as it does the exact same thing.

I like the location as well, pretty intuitive. Yours must be RHD with the knob close to the window? LHD is positioned close the center of the dash since I guess they both have to sit on the right of the steering wheel.

I've always had the idea to use the foot pedal for that reason. I've seen those cables snap on some really old vehicles that hadn't been driven in decades.

Anyway, going to try lubing it up today and see if it feels better. Might just been worn out though.

Use the foot always!

I do and will continue to. Just seemed broken because I could turn it just as easily but there was no response. Other vehicles I have experience with will pretty much not turn unless you use the foot pedal.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom