Question about drain and fill clutch brake fluid (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok 40 friends, checking and topping off fluids this eve. I notice the brake fluid in clutch reservoir is getting black and gunky compared to the brake fluid reservoir. So I’m thinking I could drain the fluid at the slave cylinder and top off at reservoir and pump until the good stuff starts to run out (1st, please let me know if that plan is fatally flawed, I yet to do any clutch work on the 40). Second, having just changed out my kids master and slave in his ‘99 CRV a few weeks ago, I still have the better part of a quart of Honda Brake Fluid DOT 3. Any issue with using that? Owners Manual for my ‘82 calls for SAE J1703 or DOT 3. Do I really need to buy a different brake fluid? Lastly, if all the above is good, can I top off my brake fluid cylinder w the same Honda brake fluid (mixing w what’s in currently). Some pics to help.
thanks in advance!!

961F4A53-6EE0-493A-AF67-A228F18195DD.jpeg

E82AAF8E-6450-439C-9647-E5604DD642CE.jpeg

1992FA65-8CDB-4C8A-A9A6-C9D250D1FCAB.jpeg

you can't use Honda fluid in a Toyota!

dot 3 fluid is dot 3, you'll be fine, I've used different brands without issue.

I attach a clear hose to the bleederscrew, loosen screw and place other end into a container with brake fluid in it, so the end is submerged, pump pedal, make sure the resevoir does not run dry and you will see when the fluid clears up, tighten screw.

you can't use Honda fluid in a Toyota!

dot 3 fluid is dot 3, you'll be fine, I've used different brands without issue.

I attach a clear hose to the bleederscrew, loosen screw and place other end into a container with brake fluid in it, so the end is submerged, pump pedal, make sure the resevoir does not run dry and you will see when the fluid clears up, tighten screw.

;)
Thanks for that. I’d much rather use what I have. Ive seen folks use that tube and bottle method. Makes sense and certainly a “cleaner” way to bleed. I’ll give that a shot for sure. Considering your confirmation that dot 3 is dot 3, I will also feel totally comfortable using the Honda dot 3 to top off my 40’s brake fluid reservoir.
thanks puppies!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom