quads, razors, rhinos..oh my! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

murf

Lifer
Threads
Who in the group has ATV's/dirt bikes? I have a couple quads (Honda utility type) I bought a few years ago for family time and sometimes I like to get out on more of an adult ride (faster, longer, "farther in" types of rides).

I think I used the quads only a handful of times this year :eek: and want to see if there is any interest in the upcoming months to go on an exploration type day ride with some fellow mudders? Last year I did a couple overnighters (Superstitions and Sierra Ancha area) area with some friends where we quaded out of camp for the couple days which was really cool as well.

I love wheeling in the LC :steer: but also on occasion enjoy the different type of exploring and the accessibility to some areas (treading lightly of course)that the quads offer. They also are a blast to ride!

Last edited:
I used to have a Banshee but sold it due to lack of use. I plan on purchasing another atv, side by side in the future.

I ride on 2 wheels and need to get the KTM out soon. I'm stuck in Boise for the rest of Dec but will be home after that and would be up for some roosting!!

Just put a deposit down on a 2010 Polaris RZR-S yesterday that was just delivered to the PV Dealership. Should be picking it up next week.

I have a Rhino, DS 650, and 450R ready when you are. Will probably be at the dunes over Christmas week.

I love wheeling in the LC :steer: but also on occasion enjoy the different type of exploring and the accessibility to some areas (treading lightly of course)that the quads offer. They also are a blast to ride!

What type of areas do quads offer that your LC doesn't?

I am glad you will be treading lightly...so many people don't with those things. We are loosing our access to many places in the Tonto because of people who don't care.

Howdy! There are a lot of old trails that are too narrow for a regular 4x4, some due to design, some due to erosion. There are also Off Highway Vehicle Parks in the area. Most federal and state agencies consider a Quad or UHV to be no more than 50" wide, and under 1800#, gross, I think. This does create a quandry for the new hot rod stuff, like the Razor S, which is 60 " wide. Hmmm. Well, my wheelbase is only 55" wide, so I get to go where the Razor S can go! Oh, wait a minute, I MIGHT have an issue with the gross weight?? John

There are a lot of old trails that are too narrow for a regular 4x4, some due to design, some due to erosion. There are also Off Highway Vehicle Parks in the area.

'zacktly...some real cool small, narrow trails that are old (but still legally open) that are only accessable for the reasons above. Areas only where a horse, bike, quad, etc can fit.

Theres also something satisfying with the physical interaction, exertion, balance, and thrill of pushing the envelope of "go fast" (at times) with riding horses, motorcycles, quads, etc. :bounce:

Not that I dont mind the windows up/dust free environment, jamming the Sirius, and enjoying the temperature controlled confines of the Cruiser while wheeling...

I am glad you will be treading lightly...so many people don't with those things. We are loosing our access to many places in the Tonto because of people who don't care.

Thats sad but true. Thats why most of us try to set good examples outdoors, talk to people, do club clean-ups, etc. Is it enough? No, but everyone has to do what they can short of having the laws do it for us. It seems like (back when) the majority of the people were the ones that cared but the percentages seem to be slipping the other direction. I grew up here and have enjoyed the Tonto N.F. since I was a wee kid.

Everytime I go out target shooting with my dad or go outdoors, theres many times I end up taking other peoples trash :mad: home with me to dump. Whatever happened to parents teaching their kids to leave any area they are at outdoors looking like they never where there? :meh:

Howdy! For those FEW of you that did not make it to the Tonto FS land use meeting in Mesa recently, we are officially loosing a lot of trails. The maps are available on the Tonto website. The bottom line is that all trails will become CLOSED unless posted OPEN. There will be very few OPEN signs posted. In a couple of decades, the Far East Valley will have more people living in it that all of Mesa. That will create an unbelievable number of consumers/abusers of the outdoors. That, of course, will result in additional restrictions on access. Eventually we will be herded into little Off Highway Vehicle Parks, like it is out east. John

Howdy! For those FEW of you that did not make it to the Tonto FS land use meeting in Mesa recently, we are officially loosing a lot of trails. The maps are available on the Tonto website. The bottom line is that all trails will become CLOSED unless posted OPEN. There will be very few OPEN signs posted. In a couple of decades, the Far East Valley will have more people living in it that all of Mesa. That will create an unbelievable number of consumers/abusers of the outdoors. That, of course, will result in additional restrictions on access. Eventually we will be herded into little Off Highway Vehicle Parks, like it is out east. John

I found 3 areas to be closed...is that right? When does it go into effect? Link would be helpful for us that are challenged:)

Check this out:<http://www.fs.fed.us/r3/tonto/travelmgt/proposed-action-maps/Tonto_ProposedAction_MesaRD102509.pdf>. All of the purple lines are existing trails that have been open to the public in the past, but they will be closed, unless you have a special purpose permit, which as of now, is pretty much Unobtanium. John

Not that I dont mind the windows up/dust free environment, jamming the Sirius, and enjoying the temperature controlled confines of the Cruiser while wheeling...

Can someone enlighten me on what this is like?:hillbilly:

Sorry, I just get a little nervous when I see someone say they want to ride a quad because they can go more places and more places faster. I know most of us here are responsible people that just want to enjoy our great outdoors.

I have a bad taste in my mouth for quads and such because of the many people who use them irresponsibly. I myself will never own one because of what I have seen, and that is just a personal decision. Heck, if I had one I am sure I would be tempted to "try and see if I could make it over that little hill" too. Afterall that is what is seems they are designed for. And before someone jumps in, I think four wheel drive trucks are not the same thing. They are designed for traveling non-maintained roads.

I attended the Forest service meeting and I believe this effort to close these roads are primarily due to the destruction by ATVs (and some extreme fullsize four wheelers). The desert isn't the same as when I was a kid -- and I am not that old. My dad's favorite spot to picnic was lower sycamore and now we don't even consider stopping there anymore.

Murf, this is not directed at you and sorry for hijacking your thread. Go out and have fun and maybe you can help educate some of the other ATV users that need it.

Last edited:
Sorry, I just get a little nervous when I see someone say they want to ride a quad because they can go more places and more places faster. I know most of us here are responsible people that just want to enjoy our great outdoors.

I have a bad taste in my mouth for quads and such because of the many people who use them irresponsibly. I myself will never own one because of what I have seen, and that is just a personal decision. Heck, if I had one I am sure I would be tempted to "try and see if I could make it over that little hill" too. Afterall that is what is seems they are designed for. And before someone jumps in, I think four wheel drive trucks are not the same thing. They are designed for traveling non-maintained roads.

I attended the Forest service meeting and I believe this effort to close these roads are primarily due to the destruction by ATVs (and some extreme fullsize four wheelers). The desert isn't the same as when I was a kid -- and I am not that old. My dad's favorite spot to picnic was lower sycamore and now we don't even consider stopping there anymore.

Murf, this is not directed at you and sorry for hijacking your thread. Go out and have fun and maybe you can help educate some of the other ATV users that need it.
Howdy! I think the ratio of Good Guys to Bad Guys is about the same between ATV users and 4x4 drivers. The problem is just the sheer numbers of ATVs out there. They already outnumber the 4x4s by at least 10 or 20 to one. That will probably go up by a factor of 10x over the next decade or two, depending on how the economy goes. The vast majority of them ride in the areas closest to town, so the huge amount of traffic has a tremendous impact, even if they/we all obey the rules. Travel Management Planners are trying to forcast out 20-50 years, just like the metro planners are. I think they will gradually increase the rules/limits/access to the point where riding/driving will be limited to Off Road Parks, like a lot of areas back east. While I'm not particularly fond of that idea, I don't have a better one. John

Not hijacking LCconvert, but some valid points that are in most everyones mind I believe. Its a love/hate thing: I love the vehicle but hate the minority of irresponsible riders that ruin it for everyone else (apply to most any other topic). I make no apologies for riding but I do need to be involved more in the land use meetings that get posted here since I like to ride the Sycamore/Sugarloaf/Four peaks area. I agree lower Sycamore has become a junk-strewn worn out area. LIke Inkpot says, if were not careful or pay attention, its gonna go away.

But...back to fun stuff ~

So, who has some suggestions of somewhere relatively/kinda close to town which would be a good exploration/trail ride? Maybe this Sunday or next?

Got my new toy today. I found it so odd that it came with more cupholders from the factory than my 7 seater Lexus...

l_13785166c8fd41dd96ca1f30d53a45f3.jpg
l_2ba68c7c2add48c2b5c1ac3292ae7f91.jpg

Howdy! Check out the Boulders OHV area. It is on the Carefree highway, at mile marker 11.5, about 10 miles west of Lake Pleasant. Nice parking/staging, clean restrooms, area maps are available, and there is even a Kiddie Corral for younger riders. It has a lot of sand washes to run, but there is a lot of other stuff too. The outer perimeter trail is about 22 miles long. Good chance I will be out there on 1/2/10.

There is also an area out east of A. J. on the US 60 called Clint's Wells. Similar to the Boulders, but I have not bee there yet. John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom