Qi wireless charging (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
A while back I added Qi wireless charging to my gen1 Tundra. Piece of cake. Has anyone added wireless charging to a LC 200 before it came standard? The Toyota parts are expensive but I'd consider it if I knew it could be done. The components are cheap and reliable, but I cant figure out a good place to put them.

IMG_0365.jpeg

IMG_2382.jpeg

A while back I added Qi wireless charging to my gen1 Tundra. Piece of cake. Has anyone added wireless charging to a LC 200 before it came standard? The Toyota parts are expensive but I'd consider it if I knew it could be done. The components are cheap and reliable, but I cant figure out a good place to put them.

View attachment 2159179

View attachment 2159174
@fasteddie2015
Did you ever go down this path? Just this morning I was thinking of doing something to my 2014 and was curious if anyone has tackled it. figured i'd check out mud... Seems like an easy mod (in theory)

thanks, @Wolvie
if i was a reasonable person, that should work... however, i got into a RAV4 today and it had an integrated wireless qi mat right in front of the shifter, which worked really well and simultaneously upset me that my LC does not have one. On my 14 LC, theres a perfect spot for this right near the USB input.. now i'm obsessed with making this happen

2609A300-CEC1-4409-AEFF-D7B3FDB808A9.png

There’s several of the magnet/wireless charge combos on amazon. I just ran the usb cord behind the trim panel and tied in the 12v going to the factory cigarette plug. I think it looks pretty clean. Functions well.

@fasteddie2015
Did you ever go down this path? Just this morning I was thinking of doing something to my 2014 and was curious if anyone has tackled it. figured i'd check out mud... Seems like an easy mod (in theory)
I did not pursue it much. I looked into installing the stock Qi from later year LCs. Good news was that the parts are so common from year to year. Bad news was the price. To get my tundra solution (which I've also used inside book covers for a coffee table charger) to work, you need a really thin surface, and one that the phone wont slide off of. I couldnt find a good surface to use in the LC. The tundra console tray was perfect size and shape. Then, I figured if I'm going to run a cable or attachment rather than hiding the Qi charger, its just as easy to use a short coiled cable and the 12v/cigar lighter outlet. I did switch out the console cup holder for the 3D printed one that has a slot for a phone. I might have to take another look though based on what @thebigelf did.

That all being said, if theres power to the useless USB port in the console, and someone would want to 3D print an insert, it would be easy enuf to add the charger circuit, coil, and usb plug, and that might work. I dont have access to 3D printing, but if someone wanted to provide that, I could collaborate on the rest of it. I've done it before.

which cegar did you buy... any link thank you
View attachment 2401839
There’s several of the magnet/wireless charge combos on amazon. I just ran the usb cord behind the trim panel and tied in the 12v going to the factory cigarette plug. I think it looks pretty clean. Functions well.

I just got the truck in august and haven’t started pulling things apart yet, but.... wondering if there is a way to modify the factory wireless charging “drawer” to accomodate a fullsize phone?

At the moment you can’t shut it while a phone is charging. Does anyone know if this is this by design to keep that space from turning into an ez bake oven while it charges?

I just got the truck in august and haven’t started pulling things apart yet, but.... wondering if there is a way to modify the factory wireless charging “drawer” to accomodate a fullsize phone?

At the moment you can’t shut it while a phone is charging. Does anyone know if this is this by design to keep that space from turning into an ez bake oven while it charges?
I don’t know if having the door open is by design, but I do know that an IPhone X and an iPhone 11 get so hot in there while charging that I don’t use it anymore. I had a battery failure (swelling) on the iPhone X that was probably not related, but scary enough that I’m very careful about charging temperatures. All in all, that hot cubby in the awkward hidden place in front of the shifter on a ‘17 is a lousy place to have a wireless charger. Fail.

I don’t know if having the door open is by design, but I do know that an IPhone X and an iPhone 11 get so hot in there while charging that I don’t use it anymore. I had a battery failure (swelling) on the iPhone X that was probably not related, but scary enough that I’m very careful about charging temperatures. All in all, that hot cubby in the awkward hidden place in front of the shifter on a ‘17 is a lousy place to have a wireless charger. Fail.

Yea, sub-optimal design. <sigh>

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom