PZ or 3BII? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
hi,
my intention of replacing the 2F in my 78FJ45 is coming to a crossroad. i have a 3BII waiting for the transplant but a PZ has pop up and is leaning me towards that route. i want to keep the same driveline and the PZ seems to be a easier donor to play with. what are your thaugths on this issue? my plan is to put a camper on the 45 for outdoor excursions and possibility of across country trips too! i could also put the 3BII into my 85BJ60 so i could have a beefier alternator choices for the snowplow set-up, comments?
thx,
ivanhoe

I like you new thoughts. You'll have a spare for your 60, and you won't be disappointed with the PZ for your 45. Plus, putting a turbo on the PZ will make for a fabulous truck down the road. I'm dropping a 1KZ-TE into my 45 very soon.

ivanhoe said:
hi,
my intention of replacing the 2F in my 78FJ45 is coming to a crossroad. i have a 3BII waiting for the transplant but a PZ has pop up and is leaning me towards that route. i want to keep the same driveline and the PZ seems to be a easier donor to play with. what are your thaugths on this issue? my plan is to put a camper on the 45 for outdoor excursions and possibility of across country trips too! i could also put the 3BII into my 85BJ60 so i could have a beefier alternator choices for the snowplow set-up, comments?
thx,
ivanhoe

I would forget the 1PZ unless you have the R151 gearbox that it comes with.

The 3BII will turbo better and will be much easier to get parts for in the long run.
They both have a similar cubic cap so I cant see a big benefit in the 1PZ.
In fact I dont really know why they made the 1PZ in the 1st place.:confused:

I know nothin about snow ploughs,so why does it need a beefier alternator?:D

unless you found a source to supply a turbo for the 3B II, I will have to say that the PZ is an easier engine to turbo than the 3B II. I have custom turbo'd both and the 3B II was a bit of a PITA with the bizarre bolt pattern of the exhaust manifold.
the PZ also responded much better than the 3B II.
although the 3B II did really rock along nicely turning 35" boots with no problem at highway speeds.
the PZ is a quiet engine (for a diesel) and it pulls nice and strong.

the 3B II is a rare bread only produced for one year so finding parts might get challenging quicker than the PZ which was used for in Canada in the mines till 1995 and shares many of it components with the HZ brother.

either engine will not bolt up to your "F" series input shaft so you will need a donor tranny for the swap into the 45.

if I may, I would suggest the 3B II be installed into your wagon (or used as a spare for it). since you already have the proper tranny for behind it.

use the PZ for the 45 but make sure you have a tranny for behind it. you can use the R141 or the R151. the 141 has the same gear ratios as the coveted H41 in the "B" series engines and the 151 has more highway friendly gearing.

one you are ready, and if you go with the PZ, let me know and I will set you up with the turbo for that engine. by then I will have this one intercooled and should have a report up about any performance increase, if there is any.

my next wheeling rig is a PZJ70, I need a R151 for my PZJ75 so I bought a parts rig. I will be swapping the R141 into the 70 and I should be able to tell you how this unit handles the bush and my abusive driving style.

best of luck in your engine swap. if I can be of any help just shoot me an email.

BTW, can I suggest you do a thread so we all can follow along as you build up your rig?

cheers

I thought with you 2F tranny you actual easy replacing engine are 12H-T 2H :D but I know in Canada is most frecuetly used 3B engine anycase.

hi,
there's a tranny & transfer to go with it. i'm sure it's a r141! now for the telling the wife, how do i go about this? slowly, suddenly or silently(which got me in trouble before)! ohhhhhh, those better halves!!!!! :mad:
ivanhoe

roscoFJ73 said:
I would forget the 1PZ unless you have the R151 gearbox that it comes with.

The 3BII will turbo better and will be much easier to get parts for in the long run.
They both have a similar cubic cap so I cant see a big benefit in the 1PZ.
In fact I dont really know why they made the 1PZ in the 1st place.:confused:

I know nothin about snow ploughs,so why does it need a beefier alternator?:D

electrical plows are battery juice suckers. god forbid that i've two batteries for the moment.
ivanhoe

hi,
the deal went sour on my pz, ratts! :mad: :mad: :mad: i had to work on the weekend and i had a friend buying it for me because the seller wouldn't take a deposit?(first come, first serve he says????, what kind of seller is this??). what happened during my working hours, my friend's father-in-law had a stroke and was unable to pick up my valued prize. i was totally unaware of the situation taking place and some lucky soul snatched it from me. :crybaby: :crybaby: so in the mean time, the 3BII and a 4speed is still awaiting the transplant. has anyone installed a regular parking brake on their full floating axle from the 78fj45? or do i have to use a driveshaft set-up?
ivanhoe

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom