Puttin' a 3B diesel into the FJ55 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

cruiser_guy

Out of Africa / North Africa
Threads
Website
join-hands-for-hope-helping-people-help-themselves.mailchimpsites.com
I think I might have sourced what I need for a reasonable price to do this conversion :D (remaining engine parts and electrical wise). One problem I've noticed is that the 2F and 3B have the rad connections on opposite sides. Is this something that is easily changed at a rad shop or is there other solutions to this problem ???. I've never done an engine swap before.
The 2F was supposedly rebuild recently but I've found too many mistakes (missing head bolts :p, poor gasket install :slap: etc.) to make me comfortable to run it as is so it's either redo the rebuild or go diesel.

On my 3B into FJ60 project, I moved the whole rad back 5" with a fabbed up steel box to make room for the intercooler in front. Then I just soldered up a section of 1-1/4" copper pipe fittings to take the bottom rad connection over to the other side and up to the water pump. Just used short rubber connectors at both ends.
I did that because 3B rads are hard to source here in the states, you might want to just use a BJ rad?
There are a lot of things that are on the "other" side with the 3B. Starter, power steering pump, clutch slave cylinder, etc. The 2H might be easier in that regard, I don't know.
moT

I don't know about the 2H but I have a 3B engine which is 95% complete in my garage so it's the cheapest option. Besides as the other two trucks are also 3B powered I have the ability to check those trucks while I'm troubleshooting the FJ55/3B install. I may see if the 3B rad works further back (hadn't thought of that :doh:) as I've got a 3 core one in the garage as well that I pulled to install the 4 core when I put A/C in my '82. I know the FJ55 front clip looks narrower than the BJ60 so the rad would need to be set back aways from the grille.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom