pushrods (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
i recently had the #6 exhaust pushrod go out. can i replace just the pushrod, or do i need to replace the pushrod, rocker, and lifter?

What caused it to "go out"?

And where did it go?

[quote author=Poser link=board=1;threadid=11094;start=msg100185#msg100185 date=1076039679]
What caused it to "go out"?

And where did it go?
[/quote]

It went out for dinner and a movie.......... :flipoff2: :flipoff2:
Reckon he meant connecting rod?

Butch

Did he leave a note?

Yes you should repalce the rocker, pushrod and lifter. If you do not do that you will notice absolutly no difference than if you used used parts. Find a good rod and stick it in, it will be just fine

no, no, no tex...

it went out for a steak, chips, a pint, and a fine woman...

the top of the rod that pushes aganst the rocker wore away, which, in turn, caused the valve to stop opening.

dd113 answered my question. i just want to keep this thing runnig long enough to be able to put a 350 with a 700r in it. i'm keeping the original motor and xmission in storage, though, for a proper rebuild. it just doesn't seem right getting rid of them.

by the way, if the pushrods aren't spinning, what does that mean? this one was not spinning. is that a problem with the lifters?

If you're looking for parts, I've got a '2/76 2F I'm parting out (it's getting in my way big time and if it doesn't part out fast it's going for scrap) and you can have the push rods, rocker shaft with all the goodies and the lifters all for the low price of $40 + shipping. That's ALL pushrods, ALL lifters and the ENTIRE rocker shaft assembly! I just need the $40 to make it worth while to pull, pack & ship.

[quote author=brian link=board=1;threadid=11094;start=msg100668#msg100668 date=1076118939]
i didn't know push rods were supposed to spin ???
[/quote]

Ever ran any of your Land Cruiser sixes with the rocker cover off?

The push rods spin, along with going up and down...

-Steve

most interesting...why did the push rod decide to go out for steak and chips and not get delivery ??? Just a for an instance...as it happened to me in a different life long ago...so it could also happen in the best of families.. you might ask why would one wear so quickly/excessively whilst the others are looking so marvelous. fawkin plugged oil hole ..starving oil to the !@@#$% thing...and yep push rods kind of dance' in spin. eSpeciallly solid lifter models.

[quote author=Poser link=board=1;threadid=11094;start=msg100674#msg100674 date=1076119296]
Ever ran any of your Land Cruiser sixes with the rocker cover off?

The push rods spin, along with going up and down...

-Steve
[/quote]

yeah, whenever i adjust the clearances on the pushrod/rocker/valves i do it with the motor running, just i never noticed that they spin.

you might ask why would one wear so quickly/excessively whilst the others are looking so marvelous. fawkin plugged oil hole ..starving oil to the !@@#$% thing...and yep push rods kind of dance' in spin. eSpeciallly solid lifter models.

hummmm... it is possible that it wasn't getting any oil, but the head was saturated with it, and it had oil on it. you are right, though. it does warrant a closer inspection. i'll have to look into it asap.

...while i'm thinking about it... exactly how much oil should be coming out? should it be shooting out, or what? when the engine is running, and the head cover is off, i don't notice any excessive oil. the rockers rods valves and head are oily, and the head has oil pooled on it, but there is no oil going every where. is that normal?

Oil is fed up thru an oil passage in the #4 rocker pedastal into the rocker shaft. The shaft has holes for each rocker. I'd take a quick look at the rocker on the failed/worn pushrod. See if you feel any slop between the rocker and the rod. If it were me, I'd pull the rocker assembly soak it some parts washer and blow out all the passages.

Oil doesn't really shoot out..what your seeing seems normal... keep aclose eye on the offending rovker pushrod pair. However, if you rev the engine up it will fling oil around and make a mess out of everything in your engine compartment.

However, if you rev the engine up it will fling oil around and make a mess out of everything in your engine compartment.

it isn't doing this... should i be worried?

As long as the rockers and shaft surfaces are not worn and all the oil holes are open...I'd go ahead and put it back together, cold adjust the valves...run it up to operating temps then re-adjust the valves warm. Then drive it and keep your ears open. put 500 or so miles on it then pop the cover and inspect for wear ...rockers and valve stems. Your probably all right in the oiling dept.....the last one I goosed up while playing with the valves was my 289 hipo fiord motor. It has a hi vol oil pump and when reved it tends to splatter oil in an otherwise clean engine bay.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom