Push Button 4x4 selection (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
hi there all

Well I have tried - after fitting the 2h motor to the BJ73 (HJ73 now) I have been having trouble getting the 4x4 selection to operate (Push button - Vacume system).

I am on the verge of giving up and having a TOYOTA free day today - and strongly considering converting it back to a manual lever selection by changing the transferr case.

I am trying to pick some ones brains whom have done this before - so if your able to help please respond an I will try and explain my problems.

I have tried a few other web sites with minumal response.

Please - please - please HELP

Wayne

Flinders Rangers
South Australia

PS my home e-mail address is (wmellard@aapt.net.au) if its any easier.

Where are you getting the vacuum from for the control? The diesel manifold does not create a vacuum like the petrol engine.The vacuum pump on the alternator is for the booster are you running it from there ? Did you change boosters when you changed the engine?

Hi there

You may be on to some thing here, let me explain whats happening.

The two line heading down to the gearbox actuator - when you apply vacume to one or the other (seperate) it activates or deactivates the plunger (inturn activating-deactivating the 4wd)

I pulled the actuator of the gear box and checked the diaphram (all ok) then put compresses air which works the actuator (works) then used the vacume line from the brake booster (bigger vacume) and the 1/4 rubber line from the rear of the alternator (all ok)

With this sort of possitive out comes, I mounted it all back on the gear box - and it still will not work.

I am starting to wonder if I am not getting enough vacume - or the gearbox arm mechanism is jammed.

How can I check the vacume pressure - how much do I need?

As for the soloniods, I have located a second hand dash switch but will have to rewire it - not a big problem, did plug it into the original wirring lomb but it only has power to one of the solonoids.

Do you have any ideas where to start. - taking into consideration today is a cruiser free day (just getting some ideas for tomorrow)

I hope this all amke sense

Wayne

2wd HJ73

Problems

Hi there all

Please cancell the above - I am changing the transfer case next week to a manual selector - doing away with the vacuum/electric push button.

I have probelms with the current transfer case causing alot of the problems.

many thanks

Wayne

Wayne BJ73 said:
Hi there all

Please cancell the above - I am changing the transfer case next week to a manual selector - doing away with the vacuum/electric push button.

I have probelms with the current transfer case causing alot of the problems.

many thanks

Wayne

Did you reassemble the t/case? Its not uncommon for the part that does the shifting(shift fork??) inside to be installed incorrectly.

Hi there

Well after pulling the vacuum accutator of the gear box again - I found the selector lever to be quite firm, After several calls to Adelaide 4x4 transmissions he believes the transfer box may be faulty (Jammed & locked)

I am using the old transfer box from my original 3b gearbox - so no outlay just a little time changing from vacuum to mechanical.

This decission wasnt made lightly (to change) this vehicle is predominately used off road (fire trail inspection) and I like the idea on a manual lever operation for 4x4.

The overdrive unit was purchased when I bought the donor vehicle and I will be removing it and selling - Its just not needed on a 5 speed gearbox, small light vehicle and especially when the vehcile is running 33' tyres.

All the best

Wayne

if the front half is from a 4 speed case then you will not have the 5th gear oiler... you need a front half from 5 speed case...

ellard, what year is the vacuum transfer case and what year is the manual? There are minor changes in the input shaft and seals along the line as well as a major idler shaft size change in late 1985.

Dave

beanz2 said:
There are minor changes in the input shaft and seals Dave
please explain further...

Wayne BJ73 said:
The manual shifter box is a 1985 and the vacuum manual box is 1986.

No alot of age differance as they look the same visually.

Tell me more.

Wayne

Good, then the only issue is the idler shaft size. Early 1985 will have a 34 mm shaft, late 38mm. If the manual transfer is early 1985, you need to swap the entire box. Straight forward swap as there is not too many years of difference. The transfer shifter axis, which bolts on to the gearbox, needs to be swapped for the longer manual style also. Do this before everything is installed or it would be a bit tricky to do later.

Dave

hi there

hi there

I am not able to change the entire gear box as it will not fit.

Originally the BJ73 was fitted with a 3b motor and when the engine blew up due to the lack of water. I put in a 2h diesel (6 cylinder) hense forth the 3b gearbox will not bolt to the 2h engine.

The reason for changing the gear box the 3b motor sits further forwards - and has a longer bell housing and and a longer input shaft than the gearbox for a standard 2h.

Does this make sense.

Wayne

Wayne BJ73 said:
I am not able to change the entire gear box as it will not fit.

Oh, sorry, I meant to write change the entire transfer case, not the gearbox (transmission).

Dave

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom