Pulling engine, trans and TC, does FSM have omission? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
'97 LX 450, pulling engine per FSM and nowhere does it mention draining the AT or TC. Likely not a major issue, but anybody have a reason NOT to drain those fluids before I extract them?

Also, per a thread (and photo) from here on MUD (over a decade ago), I'll pull the AC condenser, AT cooler, etc. so I don't have to raise the engine as much (also NOT in the FSM).

Any thoughts, comments, pushback?

Thanks, and, wish me luck! I'm gonna need it!
keith

What i do if i don't want to drain the transmission fluid on some cars and trucks, i insert a plug into the transmission tail housing. That plug take's the the place of the drive shaft yoke to keep the fluid from leaking out. Along with the transmission trail shaft plug, you can also get plugs for the transmission cooler lines where they thread into the transmission.

IMG_0441[1].JPG

IMG_0441[1].JPG

I didn't drain fluids when I pulled mine, granted, it's on a 91. Some considerations for you- depending on the capacity of your hoist, you may need to. Also, depends on how long you anticipate having the items out of the vehicle and drained. I knew I would be storing my parts for a while, so I kept fluid in them. If short duration, you could drain. I didn't want any chance of rusting internally

What i do if i don't want to drain the transmission fluid on some cars and trucks, i insert a plug into the transmission tail housing. That plug take's the the place of the drive shaft yoke to keep the fluid from leaking out. Along with the transmission trail shaft plug, you can also get plugs for the transmission cooler lines where they thread into the transmission.

That does not apply to the Land Cruiser. The driveshafts just unbolt from the yokes at each end. No fluid will come out from there.

The fluids can be drained without issues but if you are pulling only the motor I would wait until the motor is reinstalled and you know things are working properly. You generally want to avoid doing multiple repairs so there is a problem you can zero in on the cause much easier.

Reactions: YMT
Sounds like you've got it figured. No reason to drain fluids unless you really want to.

Remove the bumper as well if you can to get as much space as possible. When I installed everything as one unit my Harbor Freight 2 ton hoist was on its longest setting and I had some difficulties because I couldn't get my front winch bumper off. Would have been cake without the bumper.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom