PTO Winch drive shaft (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I finally got ahold of a PTO winch for my 40 series only problem is it didn’t come with a drive shaft. Has anyone had any success fabricating up a replacement? Not worried about original parts just functionality. That is unless someone has one they would let go at a reasonable price. Any help appreciated. Pics for reference.

IMG_5819.jpeg

IMG_5818.jpeg

the very top pic is from a 55 the driveshaft is different than a 40 series.
it looks like the one that @peterb shows is also from a 55.

it would need modification to work in a 40, it would not be a bolt in

the very top pic is from a 55 the driveshaft is different than a 40 series.
it looks like the one that @peterb shows is also from a 55.

it would need modification to work in a 40, it would not be a bolt in

Toyota did change to that style 1/79. 10/82 it changed again to three shafts and two carrier bearings. 1/79 the 40 series frame changed. The holes in the front frame crossmember are offset to allow the driveshaft to come there at an angle. Not many put a PTO winch on the 1/79 40 here in the US. So for most the pillow block bearing mounted to the two tabs on the bottom of the radiator bracket is the best option.

I have a Aussie HJ47, this is whats going on. It looks like the single turn shaft is what I need. Correct me if im wrong.

IMG_5825.jpeg

IMG_5828.jpeg

IMG_5824.jpeg

IMG_5830.jpeg

This is what came out 84 HJ47RV from Australia.
This is 10/82+ range.
022.JPG
Plus there are two brackets to support the two carrier bearings. The inside of the left frame rail should have two sets of four fixed nuts. The one close to the firewall has a smaller four bolt pattern.

This is what came out of a 8/80-9/82 40 series.
IMG_20200113_135123903.jpg
IMG_20200113_142023058.jpg

IMG_20200113_135136607.jpg

I know this was the range by the split case that came with it.

Being from a late model 8/80+ with a split transfer case it's going to hard finding these in the US. Took a number of years to collect what I have.

IMG_20200113_135311650.jpg

This is what came out 84 HJ47RV from Australia.
This is 10/82+ range.
View attachment 3354729 Plus there are two brackets to support the two carrier bearings. The inside of the left frame rail should have two sets of four fixed nuts. The one close to the firewall has a smaller four bolt pattern.

This is what came out of a 8/80-9/82 40 series.
View attachment 3354739View attachment 3354736
View attachment 3354737
I know this was the range by the split case that came with it.

Being from a late model 8/80+ with a split transfer case it's going to hard finding these in the US. Took a number of years to collect what I have.

View attachment 3354738
Mine is a 1980. I figured it might be a struggle to get it original correct with Aussie parts. If I could get close to correct parts I could machine a working replacement.

HJ47 the HJ45 in 8/80 and technically a 81 model with a split transfer and has a H41 four speed transmission. The shifter for the PTO mounts to the body on the side of the hump and controls the PTO by cable. Is this the setup you have?

HJ47 the HJ45 in 8/80 and technically a 81 model with a split transfer and has a H41 four speed transmission. The shifter for the PTO mounts to the body on the side of the hump and controls the PTO by cable. Is this the setup you have?
There is a PTO shifter on the left of the 4 speed shifter, but I believe it has a linkage setup that connects to the PTO case extension. You put the 4x4 case in neutral and use the 4 speed to run the PTO. I’m not sure about a wire being there or supposedly needing to be there.

There is a PTO shifter on the left of the 4 speed shifter, but I believe it has a linkage setup that connects to the PTO case extension. You put the 4x4 case in neutral and use the 4 speed to run the PTO. I’m not sure about a wire being there or supposedly needing to be there.
Not a wire but a cable to control the PTO. 1/79-9/82 the bracket for the PTO control lever was mounted to the body and cable used for the flex between the body and the drivetrain. Up to 1/79 the transmission top plate had a threaded hole towards front. A shaft threaded into it to mount the control lever. 10/82 went to this style
016.JPG

I do not an any 40 series newer than a 3/82 but going to use this late style. If added your could be using an earlier setup.

Not a wire but a cable to control the PTO. 1/79-9/82 the bracket for the PTO control lever was mounted to the body and cable used for the flex between the body and the drivetrain. Up to 1/79 the transmission top plate had a threaded hole towards front. A shaft threaded into it to mount the control lever. 10/82 went to this style
View attachment 3356345
I do not an any 40 series newer than a 3/82 but going to use this late style. If added your could be using an earlier setup.
Yea mine doesn’t look like that it’s linked

Good evening. I would be interested in the driveshaft and also the clutch/brake lever and mount and the long roller. The circles parts. Are these still available and how much would you want for them. Thanks.
Good evening. I would be interested in the driveshaft and also the clutch/brake lever and mount and the long roller. The circled parts. Are these still available and how much would you want for them. Thanks.

IMG_8451.jpeg
Parts are spoken for at the moment if that changes ill let you know.

If they don’t sell, I could use the driver side brace.
3AD1FF07-2D54-46C3-830A-C23CCBC77559.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom