PTO brass gear insert? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Anybody got any idea where to get the brass insert that goes inside one of the gears inside a early Pto box? Just pulled mine apart and it's warm and sloppy.....

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1449131980.106232.jpg

It's a bronze bushing and is replaceable but I doubt if Toyota could help.

Best to remove it (with a press, not hammers) and shop bushing suppliers for the size. If you're lucky it'll be a standard size but if not having one made by either a machine shop or someone with a lathe is a pretty simple project.

Frankly, because the oil grooves are intact the bushing doesn't appear to be all that worn. Have you measured both it and the shaft it supports?

Is this the small reverse idler gear? The gear that meshes with the gear in the T case has bearings. The gear on the output shaft also has bearings. Unless I'm wrong the reverse idler gear is only under load when the cable is going out or the transmission is in reverse. The rest of the time when the PTO is in use it's freewheeling under no load. Before going to a lot of effort replacing the bushing I would put it back together and see how it feels engaged in reverse. While it does spin all the time it rarely under any load. Kept full with a good quality gear oil I think that would last a long time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom