PS Steering Cooler (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads

Anyone running a p/s steering cooler like this? I'm debating changing coolers... if so post up your install pics.

Or post up other type coolers (for ps), showing install / mounting.

Thanks

yea I've got something like that now, which works well, I don't care (my view) how I have mine mounted to the condenser. So I'm wanting to move to something else and I noticed that I need to replace the low pressue side hoses anyway, so I'm going to do all of that at the same time. I've got to swap out my steering gear, so I want to screw around with all this stuff at the same time, which of course is always fun.

If you can isolate that type of cooler from rubbing on your radiator or condensor etc...then I think those perform well otherwise. I just don't have that right now with my cooler (I think it may be a B&M or hayden...I dont' recall at this point) but similar to the amazon product posted.

If you're running 33" or smaller tires the single or double-pass cooler is all you'd need.
I honestly wonder if (under normal driving conditions; ie not heavy wheeling) even just the factory cooling loop is enough for the PS system. I've run my 33" tires for three years now and just this last winter my pump has started to groan when cold. However, with 340K miles on the original unit, I suspect this is 99% due to its age and the amount of miles on it.

That said, piece of mind with some degree of extra cooling is never a bad thing if you're willing to spend the money. I'd be curious to see the difference between the factory cooling loop and say the dual pass cooler (installed in place of the factory loop) as far as fluid temp in the reservoir after driving a certain number of miles.

I have an M8000 winch between my valance and bumper, so I won't know how much space I have at the lower crossmember for a heat sink until I remove the winch (the heat sinks stick out like 5-6 inches). I might go with a ten-row radiator cooler or some other type of finned cooler if no space down there (2-3 inch width and can mount in front of AC condenser).

If you're running 33s or smaller, using Amsoil dextron with a transmission oil filter in the PS pump return line with the stock cooler loop is more than sufficient. Certainly won't hurt to replace the stock cooler loop as I've seen a couple of them corrode and start to leak, but if the stock cooler is in good condition, using a full synthetic fluid and a Magnefine filter and PROPER belt tension, you're fine.

If you're running 33s or smaller, using Amsoil dextron with a transmission oil filter in the PS pump return line with the stock cooler loop is more than sufficient. Certainly won't hurt to replace the stock cooler loop as I've seen a couple of them corrode and start to leak, but if the stock cooler is in good condition, using a full synthetic fluid and a Magnefine filter and PROPER belt tension, you're fine.
It just occurred to me that I still have the FJ62 radiator in my rig and an H55F. I could just eliminate the factory cooling loop and hook the return up through the transmission cooler in my radiator, if that would actually cool the ATF in the system from its normal operating temp.....

no pics of any installs.....? or any other type of p/s cooler, much less the cooler I mentioned.

My stock metal line cooler left the engine bay with my V8 swap some time ago.

I run 35 inch tires and I know the p/s fluid gets hot in just normal conditions , notably in 4wd (for obvious reasons).

just as an observation I know the GM 3/4 and 1 ton trucks run a P/S cooler, its a cobmination of a tube type setup with fins (an OEM part)

Just looking for input, observations, experience.....

I was looking for good ideas on mounting a cooler of this type.... I am going to remove the cooler I have now (which is attached to the a/c condensore) of which I don't care for as to the mounting point (not a lot room between the grill and the condenser.

I put this one on my 62-Series Fire Truck.

1679335404709.png

-Rob

whats between the cooler and the "bad guys"...? does that have one of the those large extended bumpers on the front?
thanks for posting. I was looking around on mine this afternoon, I have a winch and was thinking I might could mount something in a similar area .
on mine...its an aftermarket 4plus winch bumper.

Is that one from PSC or a different brand ?.....I don't know off hand what PSC sells, but it does look very similar to some other things I've come across.

Okay here’s pics my setup. I didn’t go with the heat sink design since I couldnt find any cooling info and went with a traditional air flow through design. I just ordered this today

Here is my mounting approach. I plan on making a simple bracket to bolt up off the bottom bar I installed behind the valance using 3/16” bar stock with rubber isolators on each end using stainless rivnuts and spacers into bottom crossmember. You can see plenty of room to the right of my tranny cooler

3FC4B682-C490-4F1B-87BF-D478ACE97956.jpeg

I took measurements for one of those heat-sink style coolers a while back and the smallest one would not fit between my crossmember and 4Plus bumper (where the fire truck above has his).

I ended up going with a small one mounted on the condenser. I currently have the fluid going through the stock paperclip cooler as well. I haven’t had any issues. I also have one of those Magnefine filters on the return line.

Small black cooler is PS.
Large cooler is Trans - I know, way overkill.

2488D1AD-E105-4CC6-A3DC-064AEE1CEC35.jpeg

C6EB55BD-4FAB-424C-9381-2D9A1B1CCACF.jpeg

046644BA-45DA-4AF4-A00B-D7CD4759AF89.jpeg

Okay here’s pics my setup. I didn’t go with the heat sink design since I couldnt find any cooling info and went with a traditional air flow through design. I just ordered this today

Here is my mounting approach. I plan on making a simple bracket to bolt up off the bottom bar I installed behind the valance using 3/16” bar stock with rubber isolators on each end using stainless rivnuts and spacers into bottom crossmember. You can see plenty of room to the right of my tranny cooler

View attachment 3278893
I'm curious how much of a difference that Derale cooler will make. Obviously more than the factory cooling loop, but I'm curious to compare what certain coolers would do compared to an "in radiator" transmission cooler like the stock FJ62 radiator when it comes to the PS system.

I keep blabbing about wanting to do this but I need to take a weekend and just frackin do it.....

whats between the cooler and the "bad guys"...? does that have one of the those large extended bumpers on the front?
thanks for posting. I was looking around on mine this afternoon, I have a winch and was thinking I might could mount something in a similar area .
on mine...its an aftermarket 4plus winch bumper.

Is that one from PSC or a different brand ?.....I don't know off hand what PSC sells, but it does look very similar to some other things I've come across.

Here is the cooler I puchased: https://a.co/d/fNty2AZ

It tucks in behind my ARB bumper, though I'm not running a winch yet. I plan to add one in the future and may need to relocate it.

1679494932809.png

-Rob

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom