Protecting catalytic converter from theft? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Dissent's skid package was mentioned in another thread on this topic as having especially good coverage back by the cats.

straight pipes?

Maybe this is a Bay Area problem. Lots of cases here; I have seen Ring camera videos of cats being removed in under a minute...start to finish. I wish it was just "bad areas" we could all try to avoid, but it's happening overnight on residential streets (my neighbors Sequoia) and even during the day outside shops. Hoping my BubBuilt skids will help...and all the mud/filth on my son's GX470 will deter the criminals!

I have ARB skids currently. My plan is to have good insurance coverage and on my next build get larger plates with better coverage. I think it also helps that our vehicles aren't very common and are less likely to be targeted. A quick search shows the two Catalytic Converters costing ~$1700 each plus ~$500 in sensors. This won't be a cheap repair and who knows what else they could damage and how hard the wiring harness would be to repair.
Stock:
landcruiser-underbody.jpg

ARB:
200SKID2.jpg

Better options:
Slee, BudBuilt or Dissent:

sok2001-1.jpg

BB:
bb_trans.jpg
BB_transfer.jpg

@NateK has some good pictures of the Dissent plate here, posts 15 and 17: 200 Series Skid Plates - pics and install notes - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/200-series-skid-plates-pics-and-install-notes.1210462/post-13103965

Catalytic converter thefts are more prevalent on hybrids and small passenger cars, such as Prius's as their tailpipes are smaller in diameter and their cats contain a higher concentration of rare earth metals.

This makes sawzalling the cats off much quicker and the value of the cats higher.

Our vehicles, while higher up; has much thicker exhaust components and would take a while longer to cut off.

As long as you park in a well-lit place, or in front of your home - there's no way they can make that much noise without someone noticing.

If you want to be sure no one can steal them, sure install some skids that protect the cats.

This may sound stupid, but which of these are the catalytic converters? I bought a tripwire detector and want to make sure I put it in the right spot.

538ac24e21cc3703a9fcd8adb360f0f1.jpeg

This may sound stupid, but which of these are the catalytic converters? I bought a tripwire detector and want to make sure I put it in the right spot.

View attachment 2936754
All four are, though I'm not sure if thieves have a preference for targeting the front or rear.

I have heard their favorite vehicle is the Prius.

Another potential solution. Not sure that will really work for a determined thief, then again they may move on. I must say skid plates covering enough of the area is a better value for money way to go.

1645848756235.png

Last edited:
Another potential solution. Not sure that will really work for a determined thief, then again they may move on. I must say skid plates covering enough of the area is a better value for money way to go.

View attachment 2936851

I'm not sure if I'm looking at this the wrong way but from what I've seen they use a hack saw to cut the pipes. Something like this wouldn't do anything for protection.

Battery powered angle grinder. Cuts thru exhaust pipes in seconds.

Battery sawzall does a better job with cutting the full diameter of a pipe if you don't have good access to the top. I chopped up my crunched 80-series body with one to haul it to the scrap yard in manageable pieces. It was shockingly effective.

Last edited:
straight pipes?
Seriously. It looks like bolt on straight pipes would be easy on and easy off. Crack heads would not even realize that and cut anyway. But then the cats and pipes would be in the shop waiting for re-install for the next visual. Are there sensors aft of the cats or all before?

Seriously. It looks like bolt on straight pipes would be easy on and easy off. Crack heads would not even realize that and cut anyway. But then the cats and pipes would be in the shop waiting for re-install for the next visual. Are there sensors aft of the cats or all before?

I'm not 100% sure on our rigs but typically OBDII has a sensor between the cats to monitor effectiveness of the first cat, which does most of the work.

Edit: just double checked the parts diagrams. We have four oxygen sensors.. two on each side. One is before the first cat, and I assume it is to accurately trim fuel mixtures. The second on each side is between the front and rear cat and is likely intended to monitor effectiveness of the first cat on that side.

I'd imagine this is such a non event that you shouldn't waste your time worrying about it.
Definitely not a non event, at least not in Seattle. In Seattle and its suburbs, it's rampant and widespread. I've known a few colleagues and neighbors have who had c.c. stolen: In the driveway (caught on Ring video), mall parking lot, business parking lots, on the street, affluent cities, poor cities, etc. Just last night a neighbor on Nextdoor had their c.c stolen in their driveway, and the thief left a car jack as a souvenir.

It's enough of an issue politicians are passing laws trying to address the issue. One local business here was offering VIN etching services on the c.c.

I'm worried enough about it that I make a point to back into every parking space whenever possible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom