Pro's and cons of J springs (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.alexanderimaging.com
So I'm seeing a lot of people swapping out their 850 snd 863's for the longer J series, but not adding the L series shocks, or any of the realted sway bar drops etc. like Slee recommends for a suspension w/this amount of lift. What's the point and or benefit, more height for looks? Better/bigger tire clearance. It seems if you don't add L shocks, to gain more droop, you really aren't getting much out of J springs. What's the deal, somebody with some more experience please chime in.

Thanks

Jeff

Yeah Jeff, you'll find we're all about the looks here, BLING BLING! ;)

The majority of people who are running the J springs do so because the standard 850-863 lift has a forward rake; meaning that the rear springs provide more lift than the front. This is really true when you have heavy accessories mounted up front, such as a winch/ARB, dual batteries, etc. These heavy accessories effectively lower the front lift, and the J springs can help to level the truck out without actually negatively affecting spring droop due to shocks. I.E., you still have about a 2.5-3.0 lift when factoring in the front end weight.

Personally, I can live with my front end being a little lower than the rear, as I've got 864 (Extra Heavy) rear OME springs. It's a matter of personal preference.

Hope that helps.

-H-

I am running 850J springs up front and the 863 (heavy) spring in the rear. The front of my truck has an ARB bar stuffed with a WARN M12k. The front end on my truck, even with the J springs, sits about 1/2" lower than the rear. BTW, I am running L shocks and they do add enough flex for me to pull out whichever rear spring is unloaded under full articulation. I have not lowered my bumpstops yet, as rubbing is very limited with 33"ers, but I have the swaybar drops installed.

Overall I like the front J spring's extra lift and the fact that it evens out the truck a bit. Just 2 dirty little cents from a kid that don't know jack.

It seems to me that there are a lot of people that really load their cruisers down with accessories & supplies. The nature of expedition style wheeling requires bringing lots of fuel, water, food camping equipment, extraction equipment, tools, spares ect. There are more than a few 80's out there approaching 7,000 lbs. That's about 2000 lbs over stock. With this kind of extra weight the J springs may provide the lift they are looking for with that weight. Getting full possible articulation is not all that important for a heavy rig, especially with locking diffs. Even stock 80's do well on ramp score, better than most rigs in class. It also may be that they started with 850/863's along with matching shocks. When upping to J springs they may be thinking of installing the springs and then seeing if longer shocks are needed. I guess with enough of a load you can get the shorter shocks to work. Just my thoughts.

I installed the J springs and J shocks at the same time and seem well matched together, but I prefer to keep things light.

Jeff,

You've received excellent responses above. I'll only add that some of us cannot eat the elephant all at once. A little upgrade here, a little modification there.

For my truck the suspension upgrades began with standard OME springs, extended breathers, and the old but good stock length shocks. A year later came the drops and longer brake lines. Next came the OME L-shocks with 1" spring spacers up front. I recently bought some used J springs that will go on whenever I can save enough for a winch.

Too many projects, not enough $$$. :tear:
-B-

I personally will attempt a different approach when time and money are available. Custom springs. Found 2 companies already who are will to work with individuals even for a 1 off. Not sure the price but not really interested in the J spring multiple shim deal everyone is doing now.

Rick,
A buddy of mine is having custom 4" springs built for him. I'll find out how he likes them and where he got them built. I think the place is in Colorado.
-B-

I went to J's and the matching shocks at the same time. Only reason I did this was to fit the 36's. :D Otherwise, I'd stay as low as I could.

Oh, and my truck is definitely over 7k lbs. :D

Rick,
A buddy of mine is having custom 4" springs built for him. I'll find out how he likes them and where he got them built. I think the place is in Colorado.
-B-

Is that 4" plus additional weight caring capacity? The J springs lift a stock truck 3 3/4 just by themselves.

I had a set custom made for a 4Runner a few years back. The place was in Oakland CA. The did them for $300 a pair. I hated using a lift coil and spacer combo, so I just had a custom set of 5" springs made.

According to MAF the 850s are rated for 50~110 Kgs. If you add up the bull bar, winch, second battery and half the weight of the sliders you're pretty much overwhelming those springs. What I'd like to do is not so much as get longer springs with the same rate but the same length springs with a heavier weight. Not sure it's possible or how to go about doing it. My goal would be to have the same height I have now without shims after the accessories are installed.

-B- please keep me posted on how those springs worked out and any other info like where and how much.

Thanks

I went to J's and the matching shocks at the same time.  Only reason I did this was to fit the 36's. :D  Otherwise, I'd stay as low as I could.

Oh, and my truck is definitely over 7k lbs. :D

Over 7,000 wow? Have you considered a trailer? :D

Over 7,000 wow? Have you considered a trailer? :D
A trailer? :dunno: Got one of them that I take my trail tires and spare parts in :D - all that was not included. :D

Yeah the weight adds up with front bumper and winch, dual batts, custom sliders, custom side rails, custom cat protection, custom rear bumper with winch, 63 qt fridge, big tires - hey weight a minute - maybe if I add all the balancing weights on my swampers I could be over 8k :D :D :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom