Builds Project240 - FJ60 body / FZJ80 chassis / UZJ100 powertrain (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Here's what I've got going on:

1985 FJ60 body
+ 99% complete interior in decent shape
+ barely running
+ terrible shape underneath

1995 FZJ80 chassis donor
+ Factory triple locked
+ A343F transmission + transfer case
+ Pulled ALL factory wiring, ECM, steering column, sensors and computer modules for pretty much everything

2001 4.7L 2UZ-FE
+ donor engine from Tundra
+ Complete with ECM, harness, starter, compressor, exhaust manifolds, etc

A few things I've noted from reading around:
+ I know I'll run into fitment issues with the engine - need an oil pan from UZJ100, oil filter relocation kit, possible modified AC compressor lines
+ I know the wiring is going to be a major challenge, I plan on tracking down an A343F, Xfer case, and ECM from a UZJ100 to have a complete 100 series powertrain to help mitigate some of the pain
+ I'll be shortening the chassis 4.5" to accommodate the wheelbase of the FJ60, this should bring the engine forward where I *think* it needs to be based on others experience. I'll be fabbing up new motor mounts and body mounts

LC1.jpg

chop shop.jpg

FZJ80 chassis.jpg

s-l1600 (4).jpg

Last few days progress included a lot of cleanup and further disassembly of components, removed all but two of the body mounts, and marking for cuts.

After discussing with @TachedOutOffRoad I'm going to make my cut in the middle of the frame similar to how @xtiaan2000 did his. I also tacked up some reference points on the centerline of the frame and diagonally and measured them with the laser. With any luck I'll be able to find time this week to make it happen.

Engine is supposed to arrive Friday!

chassis 1.jpg

chassis 2.jpg

chassis 3.jpg

Last week's progress: chopped the frame! I shortened the frame 4.75" right in the middle, went way easier than expected. I was a little concerned about reattaching the one side before the other and keeping everything square but it worked perfectly to spread the forward section with a 2x4 and two straps attached to the motor mounts, and pinching the rear section equally with a larger strap. Using the laser I measured it to be shortened 4.75" and square to within +/- 1/16". I'm also adding 5x18" (1/4" thick) reinforcement plates, got one made up and roughed in last night, should be able to tackle the remaining three this week.

The engine was delayed in shipping a day and should be showing up today.

chop1.jpg

chop2.jpg

chop3.jpg

chop6.jpg

chop7.jpg

What's your plan for the wiring harness?
So far my plan is to use the 80's wiring I harvested throughout the vehicle, and make an adapter harness for the input to the 2UZ's ECM. I've been researching the pinouts but haven't made a diagram yet how they should mate up, I believe Tyco makes the connectors and you can order right from them. I've got a lot to do before I really dig into the wiring but that's generally what I think will need to happen based on what I've read around on other's swaps.

If you have insight on the best way to do it please share!

So far my plan is to use the 80's wiring I harvested throughout the vehicle, and make an adapter harness for the input to the 2UZ's ECM. I've been researching the pinouts but haven't made a diagram yet how they should mate up, I believe Tyco makes the connectors and you can order right from them. I've got a lot to do before I really dig into the wiring but that's generally what I think will need to happen based on what I've read around on other's swaps.

If you have insight on the best way to do it please share!
I’ve been toying with whether or not to use the complete 100 series harness (stripped down some) in my 40 or have a standalone harness made. I know it’s more efficient to have one made by someone like @LextremeEngines @LextremeUSA but I also like the idea of keeping the cruise control, HVAC, and other odds and ends wired for future install.

I’ve been toying with whether or not to use the complete 100 series harness (stripped down some) in my 40 or have a standalone harness made. I know it’s more efficient to have one made by someone like @LextremeEngines @LextremeUSA but I also like the idea of keeping the cruise control, HVAC, and other odds and ends wired for future install.
That's my thought too... I'm going to attempt to layout all the 80's wiring and retrofit my 60's mechanical bits to it, like door pin switches, lights, etc, so it'll have brains and infrastructure of the 80 and anything extra will be there if I want to add it. In theory then I should really only have to adapt the input plug on the ECM as long as I have whatever required inputs functional from my harvested parts.

I’ll have to get a hold of these plugs but I plan to make an adapter harness to go from the 1FZFE to the 2UZFE, it looks like the 2UZ has some additional pins I’ll have to identify and leave as pigtails to connect individually. I also need to figure out what these two additional plugs from the engine harness go to and what to do with them.

2E9E3336-E52E-4E26-9266-9DF6BC968DB1.jpeg

I’ll have to get a hold of these plugs but I plan to make an adapter harness to go from the 1FZFE to the 2UZFE, it looks like the 2UZ has some additional pins I’ll have to identify and leave as pigtails to connect individually. I also need to figure out what these two additional plugs from the engine harness go to and what to do with them.

View attachment 2568000
I would reach out to sales@lextreme.net and ask them. He's able to complete a standalone 2uz harness in about a week...

Motor Mount Monday.

Took a couple tries to get the dimensions right but I've got these fabbed up using the Tundra mounts with 25.5" to each outer vertical plate, which should slide right down into the framerails and I can position and tack weld it in where it needs to be. I'll post more detailed photos of these with measurements once I know they'll work and have them finish welded, I plan on adding some gussets as well for a little extra strength.

motormount2.jpg

motormount1.jpg

Minor progress recently, parts came in to convert the oil pans. The baffle will be a few weeks so I just have them temp installed for fitment.

Photo illustrating the difference between the Tundra and Landcruiser oil pan setup:
Oil Pan Conversion.jpg

More prep work for a big week next week. I don't have a lift so I came up with this "custom" solution to pick and position the 60 body. I got my hands on some used scaffolding and modified it to make a 4 post cable lift using come-alongs. I tested it out yesterday with 1,625lbs of Deere and it worked well!

***safety disclaimer: I will not be working under the vehicle at any point it's lifted like this***
Lift Test.jpg

A couple more pics. I've got the frame rails prepped to set the engine and transmission once I've got the body positioned. In the back I've got about 1-3/4 - 2" to trim off before the body crossmember will bump the top of the spring bucket. I might try and use that location as a body mount somehow if I can make it work.

front view.jpg

underside rear closeup.jpg

Little more progress. I wanted to have the body sit as low as possible to the frame, so as much as I didn't want to I cut out some areas and will make patches when we do the rest of the floorpan. It shouldn't impact the rear seat at all they barely protrude where the existing floor is. Once I got that done I got the body positioned where I thought it should go and bolted the front fenders on, and it looks perfect. The wheels fit nice and centered in the wheel well and the body sits low enough to look "right" in my opinion, since my goal with the build is to have it be a bit of a sleeper.

On a side note my homemade lift works awesome for positioning the body, really easy to click up and down to make small adjustments.

fenders test fit.jpg

rear floor cut.jpg

Not much visible progress the past few weeks, been busy positioning the body, checking fitment for engine, and fabricating and installing body mounts, bumpers, etc. My transmission should be here soon and I can finish all the frame fitment detail, then pull the body back off and send to paint.

body mount1.jpg
body mount2.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom