Builds Project240 - FJ60 body / FZJ80 chassis / UZJ100 powertrain (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Patch panels from Wolf Steel showed up yesterday. I stopped by the body shop I was gonna have do the work and his estimate quadrupled since we first spoke... so I might be searching out a body that's in better shape or learning how to form and weld sheet metal.

Steel Panels.jpg

What was his estimate?
Originally they quoted me $7k which I figured would end up being like $10k, then when we spoke yesterday he thought it would be more like $30-35k, ouch! I told him I could just buy one in amazing condition for that price... so I'm either going to find a body in better shape or take my time and teach myself how to do it. I don't have a timeline for any of this so it doesn't really matter. I also have a couple weeks left of chassis finish work before I'll start diving into it.

Big day yesterday, much thanks to @TachedOutOffRoad for selling me an A343F he happened to have around and wasn't going to use. I got right to work.

trans1.jpg
trans2.jpg

trans3.jpg
trans4.jpg

Last edited:
Last edited:
manifold level2.jpg

Question I'm hoping someone can answer for me, with the bottom of the transmission pan level, I'm measuring around 5 degrees of tilt on top of the 2UZ's intake manifold... I can't remember who's thread I read it in but I thought this engine was supposed to be in the 2-3 degree neighborhood? I can't remember or seem to find the exact figure. Additionally, once I weld the mounts in place and put the weight of the engine on the frame I would presume it would tilt forward slightly and I'll in up in that ideal range anyway?

Also, are these the correct places/methods to take these measurements?

I think I read this maybe in @scottryana or @UZJ40 or @TRAIL TAILOR or @sleeoffroad build threads, your (or anyone's) responses would be appreciated before I move forward!

Last edited:
View attachment 2631830

Question I'm hoping someone can answer for me, with the bottom of the transmission pan level, I'm measuring around 5 degrees of tilt on top of the 2UZ's intake manifold... I can't remember who's thread I read it in but I thought this engine was supposed to be in the 2-3 degree neighborhood? I can't remember or seem to find the exact figure. Additionally, once I weld the mounts in place and put the weight of the engine on the frame I would presume it would tilt forward slightly and I'll in up in that ideal range anyway?

Also, are these the correct places/methods to take these measurements?

I think I read this maybe in @scottryana or @UZJ40 or @TRAIL TAILOR or @sleeoffroad build threads, your (or anyone's) responses would be appreciated before I move forward!
That sounds right to me. Once you are on the chassis and see a little suspension compression you will probably be fine. Really a degree or two is not going to be an issue.

That sounds right to me. Once you are on the chassis and see a little suspension compression you will probably be fine. Really a degree or two is not going to be an issue.
Great, thanks for confirming @scottryana appreciate the response!

Done deal, all welded in and sitting on it's own weight on the chassis. I re-measured and am seeing about 4 degrees of tilt on the intake manifold so I'm right in the ballpark.

Love that view!

engine in.jpg

Haven't posted in a few weeks because progress stalled with the paint & body work. After much deliberation we decided to ditch the body we were trying to use and find one in better shape to start with. After some asking around we located and sealed the deal on this non-running 1989 FJ62 in Idaho which we'll be picking up next month. I'll plan to convert the front clip back to a 60 though, gotta have the round headlights.

FJ62 pic.jpg

This is gonna be really cool when its finished. Congrats on the great work so far and finding a body I hate paying for body work...

This is gonna be really cool when its finished. Congrats on the great work so far and finding a body I hate paying for body work...
Thanks, I actually just got back from picking up the 62 in Idaho a couple days ago so I'll be back in action again soon!

Finally another update, went and picked up the FJ62 in Idaho last week and just got back on Sunday. Really impressed with the condition! Can finally move forward again.
FJ62 On Trailer.jpg

Stopped in at the Land Cruiser Museum in SLC too which was cool to see
FJ60s in SLC.jpg

Where did you go to in Idaho Im just across the border from Coeur D'Alene ID.
Went through Montana to Bozeman, then South to Idaho Falls to pick it up, then Salt Lake City, then home to MN - over 2,700 miles with the wife and our 4 year old it was quite the road trip

Finally some progress again! I got hung up working on other stuff around the house and doing a landscaping for a neighbor of mine to make some extra Landcruiser $$$! Now the FJ62 I bought in Idaho is almost ready to go to paint, this week I got it all dismantled, I have a bit more to do and I'll be bringing it to paint probably late next week. Going with Toyota Cement Grey.

Body1.jpg
Body2.jpg

It's been a while but I finally have a status update! Been enjoying the short MN summer and not working on the project much, plus been occupied with other stuff around the house.

Anyway, I hit a milestone and got the gas tank mount made and the factory 80 series tank relocated to it's new home where the spare tire used to be, so now comes the fun part - getting it to start and run. I decided to at least get it to run before pulling it all back apart and spending the $ to get it painted, so things are going to get really interesting now as I get the fuel lines ran, radiator in, and figure out all the quirks to getting the 2UZ going.

Overall Status 082621.jpg

Gas Tank Mount.jpg

ECU 082621.jpg

This is a cool build and it looks like you are making good progress. Keep it up!

How much does the gas tank stick down and did you use the factory straps underneath? I have been looking at gas tank options for my build and what you did looks like it might be a simple solution.

This is a cool build and it looks like you are making good progress. Keep it up!

How much does the gas tank stick down and did you use the factory straps underneath? I have been looking at gas tank options for my build and what you did looks like it might be a simple solution.
Thanks! I'll grab a side photo once I lower the body back down so you can see how it looks. I didn't use the factory straps, I made them out of 1.5" flat bar and bent them to shape.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom