Builds Project X (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Waggoner5

SILVER Star
Threads
Project X/FZJ45

I have finally started my new project mating a really nice 96 80 series chassis, complete, to my old, pretty good shape 65 FJ45 LWB pickup. Like my FJ62, I will be taking my time and trying to do it right and will post play by play pictures as I get somewhere. I started with a cream puff of a 96, locked FZJ80 and dissasembled it down to the chassis, which is all stock and completely intact. It still has all the fluids , including antifreeze, brakes and fuel. It fact it will start as it is. I plan on using every mecanical piece of the 80, under my pickup modified somewhat of course. I am at a loss on what to call this thing in Toyota terms though. I was thinking about FZJ845?

1st shot the day after I got going on the dissasembly. The next couple of shot are today, 1 week later.
P1010031.JPG
P1010012.JPG
P1010013.JPG

Last edited:
I think thats every cruiser owners dream. Im too jealous of u.

Make sure you take tons of pics every day.

mike

I believe it would technically be a FZJ45, as the letters before "J" are engine family, J as we all know= Land Cruiser, and the numbers afterwards are body type.

That will be a sweet combo. As soon as we got out first 80 I started dreaming of dropping the 1FZFE into my 40...

Have you considered going with a 5 spd? Not difficult to get, and it seems fitting that a vehicle that was never offered with anything but one should continue to have a manual. More fun to drive too, IMO.

Are you going for stock looking, slightly modified-moderate trail running or serious wheeler?

I am going for more of a trick traill rig. No over hangs front or rear, but I still want it to look like a 45 pickup not a buggy. Like I said earlier, I want to keep the chassis completely stock, emissions legal, but the suspension will have allot of Slees goodies + a 3 link front system to help with front articulation. Buy my initial measurements, it looks like the cab will fit with new body mounts, the bed will have to be cut down to 5 ft., which will be still long, but not over hanging the rear. I will channel the body, bed included to fit the 80 frame so as to look like it was supposed to instead of the El Camino on a Blazer chassis look. I will be running a big tire, exact size is undetermined, but I worked a deal on a Marks Crawl box for the 80 t-case today, so I am really happy about that. Not sure on gears yet, but loading the axles with some new cool stuff Christo is working on. I am bad about taking pics of every mod so I will keep them to a min. Just the good stuff. Heres a pic, posted many times before, of the look I am going for.
Gary
FJ45.jpg

damn....sounds like an awesome project, can't wait for the progress pics!!

That sounds too cool.. I have no doubt that it will be perfect when it complete.. .Not too many people as anal as you when it comes to making things perfect.

project X is a nissan project that went to moab you might want to chenge the name of your project or go to the nissan4wheelers.com sight.

Gary,

My truck is in Omaha headed your way tomorrow, I will be giving you a call in the AM to let you know all the details.

The build looks good, keep the pics coming.
Tony

Damn, Now I have to wait. I like it when I come across projects half done.

Dan

Sir_Titus said:
project X is a nissan project that went to moab you might want to chenge the name of your project or go to the nissan4wheelers.com sight.
Yea maybe I should leave IH8MUD and go over to the Nissan site. What the crap is that all about? It was also the name of a Chimp going into space, but thats not an issue?
I think I will stay here on IH8MUD and build my 6th Landcruiser. Hell, I have never even owned a Nissan.
Gary

Waggoner5 said:
Yea maybe I should leave IH8MUD and go over to the Nissan site. What the crap is that all about? It was also the name of a Chimp going into space, but thats not an issue?
I think I will stay here on IH8MUD and build my 6th Landcruiser. Hell, I have never even owned a Nissan.
Gary

Gary, I think you can call it whatever you want. :)

the post-to-pic ratio is dropping.... ;)

when is the next installment due?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom