Builds Project X (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Project X was also a 57 Chevy that Popular Hot Rodding did in the 60's, 70's and 80's each time in a different configuration............WTF is this mall wagon doing in the Hard Core section anyway???
Butch

ya shoulda started with a LX 450 :D

Sweet project!

...and it explains the "garage sale" you have going on :)

Last edited:
Texican said:
Project X was also a 57 Chevy that Popular Hot Rodding did in the 60's, 70's and 80's each time in a different configuration............WTF is this mall wagon doing in the Hard Core section anyway???
Butch

I think it's pretty hardcore that he took a runnign 1996 FZJ80 with a decent body and took the body off to put on an FJ45 tub...

Mike Smythe cut up a perfectly good body for his comp rig after all. ...

i can honestly say that this thread will be the coolest build-up for the last year or so since jack built the truggy. really looking forward to watching it progress.

orangefj45 said:
i can honestly say that this thread will be the coolest build-up for the last year or so since jack built the truggy. really looking forward to watching it progress.

Agreed.

This is my dream project (amongst many) for a DD able expedition type rig.

Here is what I want mine to look like, If I can ever actually DO it...

Fantastic!

Last edited:
FZJFillmore said:
Gary-

Adam Tolman was dreaming about doing this very thing. He mocked up some cool chops of what he was after:

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=171472

Unfortunately it never went beyond that. Very cool build, keep it up.
Fantastic write up. I saved the pics for future reference. Thanks for the link.
Gary

Garth1 said:
I am getting up at 3:30 tomorrow morning to go do surveillance. I guess I'll just make it a habit, and start surveilling Gary's house. I will be sure to post spy pictures...but only of the Cruiser...I'm keeping the pictures of your wife for myself (yeah, Nolen, I'll trade you some doubles for pics of the red-head)

Do you, by chance, have a pool, Gary?! :D
We are just getting the pool finished oh and Janae is invited, oh yea, you too.

The 45 is coming along. The harness is intense. I have decided to take all unnecessary things out of it to make it more 45 friendly. I have completely removed all the I will have AC but trying to use the factory 80 stuff in a 45 just won't work. There's not near enough room under the dash, so I will use and aftermarket streetrod system and integrate it into the factory harness. I am using the ABS and 80 shifters and parking brake system. The rear harness including the rear locker, fuel pump and tranny control is finished so today I hope to wrap up the engine, abs, 4wd, front locker harness. Here is what I'm dealing with .
P1010013.JPG
P1010014.JPG

Waggoner5 said:
Hey Gumby, its 1:00 get back to work.

Internet was down at work all day today. Thought I was going to go nuts during my study hall. Can't wrench, can't surf, can't engage in self-lovin'. it sucked.

I'm fixin' to go roll my 80 so I can do one of those cool project X deals.

Well I'm back to work on the truck. As of today I got the tub sitting on the frame where I want it and have made all the measurements to mount the steering column and the brake/gas pedal assembly into the tub. The steering column will have to be shorthened about 3 inches to fit correctly, and give me lots more interior room than the 45 initially had. So far it is working out. Tomorrow I want to set the bed on the frame and see what will need to be modified to make it sit on the same level as the tub. It looks as though I will have to cut out the bed slightly for axle and suspension clearance. After the bed is mocked up I will pull the tub off and weld in all the brackets for the above permanently, weld up all the unecessary holes, then put the tub back on, to weld on some alignment tabs to hold the body where I want it until the mounts are fabed up. The plan is to have the tub done by early next week so it can go to the metal rehab guys to strip it. The bed will have to be lengthened in front of the wheel well and cut down behind the wheel well, in order to have 90 degree departure angle, but it still looks like the total length will be about 5' long. Heres a few pics of todays stuff.
Picture 004.jpg
Picture 002.jpg
P1010002.JPG

Gary have you mocked the front fenders up yet? Cause in the pic it sure looks like the tire is sitting too far back to look right in the well.......... :cheers: :cheers:

I have only measured for them. Where the cab is now is where the fenders fit with the grill assembly in the correct posistion, but I haven't set the bed on the frame yet. . I noticed that the wheels are back some and after I get the bed on, I will look at it again. I may end up pushing the cab back some, putting the bed wheel wells in the correct position, then modifying the front fenders accordingly. It will be easier to do them, than lengthening the bed. It will also keep the steering column the stock length and move the F&R weight ratio back some. I am trying to keep the COG as low as posible. I may need to borrow some tire & wheel combo for a trial fit. It doesn't look like the cab is going to be too narrow though. It fits the frame really well, so far.
G

Waggoner5 said:
I have only measured for them. Where the cab is now is where the fenders fit with the grill assembly in the correct posistion, but I haven't set the bed on the frame yet. . I noticed that the wheels are back some and after I get the bed on, I will look at it again. I may end up pushing the cab back some, putting the bed wheel wells in the correct position, then modifying the front fenders accordingly. It will be easier to do them, than lengthening the bed. It will also keep the steering column the stock length and move the F&R weight ratio back some. I am trying to keep the COG as low as posible. I may need to borrow some tire & wheel combo for a trial fit. It doesn't look like the cab is going to be too narrow though. It fits the frame really well, so far.
G

I have my bling 35" sitting if ya need them.....don't think the 15" will clear the rear discs though.....

What are you thinking of running on it?

BTW don't call me Gumby.....

Seems to me I looked up the wheel bases once for 3 Puppies. The wheel base on the 45 is longer than that of the 80 by just a little bit. It does seem like it would be easier to hide it in the front as the wheel arches tend to really accentuate any offset.

15s won't clear the rear discs without grinding. The one that I saw done was not too cool. The grinding went into the slider pins and caused gunk to get in there and lock up the caliper.

and don't call Texican Gumby :D

Looks like spagetti....................

Should make for a cool build, really diggin the full toy build.

Hey Mr W5,

gonna cut a section out of the 80 floor to make the trans tunnel in the 45?

And will the 45 have elec mirrors, windows, demister etc etc out of the 80? [like working form the 80 swithces, not transplanted windows from the 80.....]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom