Project Snowball: my 4runner is overheated and is leaking coolant (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Devilmans Hand

TLCA #19517
Threads
Website
www.capitallandcruiserclub.org
4runner developed a high-pitched whine that turned into a burnt coolant smell.
Overheated on gauge within a couple minutes.
Currently parked on side of road about 4mi from home just off of Braddock near Shirley gate.

Don't see any goop in the engine oil and the engine has a quick drip at the front of the engine.
I suspect the waterpump to be FUBAR.
Can I drive it back the last few miles or should I Just have it towed?
My AAA just expired too. Damnit.

Last edited:
Yeah, sounds like the pump gave up (whine and leak at front).

I'm not familiar with the 22R-series, but presume its like the 4ZE1 on the Isuzu. :banana: job.

I replaced the water pump on the 2F when it started weeping from the front. Piece of cake except the bore diameter on the new pump was slightly greater than that of the fan clutch. 30-seconds with the dremel reamer fixed that.

You get extra TEQ points if you swap it at night, outdoors, with only a flashlight.:wrench:

removed the radiator and fan...some other stuff too.

managed to snap two bolts that hold the waterpump on. I tried swearing at it, but looks like i'll have to drill them tomorrow. I foresee that being very awkward.
Damn 10mm bolts.
confirmed that the waterpump was/is the problem. The shaft has some wobble to it and there are some parts of the bearings stuck to the engine grime.

the old pump is fused pretty well on the engine. Is the engine side cast iron? I don't want to gouge anything if i end up prying. block of wood and hammer has yet to work.

That is about where i left off before i moved inside. No extra TEQ points for me.

You get extra TEQ points if you swap it at night, outdoors, with only a flashlight.:wrench:

..only if the temp is below 40 and he holds the Maglight in his teeth.

The secret is to have burl nearby and start with "mmmm. Now what wrenches do I need?". Followed by "burl, do I need to drain the radiator first?". Then just step to the side as the shirtless boy wonder hops into action.

Thanks Ryan. Hopefully i'll get it done tomorrow.
Do you happen to know the lengths of the different bolts? I kept track of everything that i took out, but i do not know the lengths of the snapped bolts.

Sam, it goes without saying that you should try Kroil on the bolts. Also, I would suggest left-handed drill bits. All of which I have, if needed.

well, there was enough thread on one bolt to use a stud extractor. the other one snapped off flush.
Time to check on how to remove the timing cover so i can properly drill the bolt out.

*Think this :banana: job just turned into a :banana::banana::banana: job.
I'll have to pull the timing cover to properly drill the snapped bolt out. Mud folk in the early gen toyota truck section recommend taking the head off to properly remove the timing cover as the timing cover mates up with the head. I may as well replace the timing chain when i'm in there, especially since i'm certain that the chain has stretched some.
balls!

Last edited:
Sam, if you're gonna replace the timing chain, you may want to include DOA's metal chain guides instead of Toyota's plastic ones.

D.O.A. Racing Engines

Devilmans Hand,

Nosing around in here and noticed your thread. I had a 1989 pickup that my son used to drive around when he was at George Mason. I had purchased a timing chain kit for it "just in case"......It ended up running until the body fell apart and I didn't use the kit. It is yours for "FREE" if you'll reimburse me for shipping. It is a kit from ENGNBLDR.COM Engine Parts Network and it is kit # TKS900SR with the steel rail. It's been sitting in my garage for the last 5 years or so. No good to me, I'd be happy to wipe the mouse s*** off of the box and send it your way. Good Karma.......I plan on meeting some of you guys when and if my wife would just get a job down in your area. We are currently waiting to hear from University of Mary Washington and keeping our fingers crossed. Let me know if you want the kit....I can take pictures if you'd like.

I also printed this DIY up for future reference many years ago, the link might help you out:

22R/RE/REC/RET Timing Chain Replacement Instructions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom