Project Koni shocks (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

bjowett

Supporting Vendor
Threads
Project number 10000000000000000..........

A nice set of dampers will be required for the upcoming OME lift, and since Koni products usually find their way onto my projects, the search began a few weeks back. Koni produces a specific shock for the 80, but they do not import it to the USA, and it is stock length.

After an extensive search through various lists of shocks with their mounting configurations, the choice was narrowed down to the 30 series mono tube adjustable unit speced for the rear of a pre 04 F150/250. Top is a pin mount, bottom is a sleeved 12mm bolt. The damping rate should be in the ballpark from the get go due to similar GVWR, and should it need some tweaking? Well, not a problem, as the rate can be increased by 20%, 50%, or doubled to 100% stiffer than the initial factory set rate. The shock is about 2" longer overall, and has 1" more travel than the front stock damper, and roughly 3/4" more than the rear.

The pins will obviously bolt right into the top mounts. The lower 12mm eye will need to be adapted. A super easy stud to eye conversion for the front will also serve to space the unit upwards. The bumpss will be lowered at least 2 inches, might as well give the travel back to the droop end of things. The rear will get some type of adapter, not sure what yet... have not gone that far.

The cool part - These bad boys go out the door for about $80 - $90 a unit street price. I had been searching for a better price, and I happened to type it in to Ebay last week on snowballs chance of finding them. Well, Koni must have read my mind... or something like that??? :D They decided to thin out some stock, and auction a bunch of different 30 series truck shocks off. I snagged 2 sets of complete F series dampers for $110 and $160/ set of 4! That leaves me with 4 front shocks I have no use for, but I can move those easily enough to recoupe some cash. All said and done, I'll have maybe $40/unit into them.

The really cool part. A quick chat with Koni on the phone while paying supplied some info that they may(?) consider selling direct a quantity of of the rear only dampers for a real deal. The more purchased, the cheaper the price. So, if anyone out there has any interest in these. LMK, I plan to move on it soon. I don't want to make sheeeet on these, just passing along a good deal. So for you winers :flipoff2: These dampers are probably best in the biz for a stock style unit.

Sorry for the length. Here's a general pic of the 30 series. The black dust cover is removable.

koni30series_0.bmp

Brian,

The F150/250 have leaf rear spring and way different weight distribution. Koni North America would revalve the shock if you are willing to pay the price which makes it not so cheap anymore.

Good luck and let us know the result

any update?

bjowott Koni make shocks specifically for the 80 they do the normal one which is of course adjustable and a heavy duty Heavy Track Raid gas shock absorbers with thicker piston rods and special damping that increases at the end of each stroke.

http://www.scorpionracing.co.uk/

http://www.all-american.nl/index.html

The latter is in Holland and unfortunately there web site is not operating very well but you can get there e-mail and tell no. from it.

If you have any problems let me know.

bjowott

I have priced them and got some measurements for the heavies I think that overseas payers do not have to pay the VAT which is 17.5%

Koni Raid Shocks £112.00 Each +VAT

Front Min 368mm Max 622mm =254

Rear Min 375mm Max 610mm =235

Any more info please call

Thanks & Regards

Richard
Scorpion Racing Ltd
Unit D, The Coppetts Centre,
North Circular Road, London, N12 0SH
Tel: (+44) 208 8211 4888
Fax: (+44) 208 8211 4999
www.scorpion-racing.co.uk