Project Flip Build Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Second post on IH8MUD, this will be my build thread/documentation of work done.

Back story:
I've always wanted a 100 series after a lot of 4Runners. So I bought one of the cheapest 100s in Cars & Bids' history, sight unseen. Flew from Northeast Ohio to Philly and drove it 7 hours home. Here's my intro thread from January.

Work completed to date:
- |02/2022| Timing belt, water pump, Toyota red coolant
- |04/2022| Transmission, differentials (factory rear locker + center), t-case fluid change, driveline lube

Initial impressions
Totally different than my 4th gen 4Runners. Same engine, sure, but the cylinder count is where the similarity stops. The LC drives with a substantially larger presence and road feel. The interior is also a completely different experience comparatively. The seats are more comfortable, the headroom is expansive, the visibility is outstanding. It is tough driving the LC then getting in my 4th gen. That said, my 4th gen with its 2UZ mods feels like a rocket ship. It is also a more capable tow pig, despite lower curb weights and smaller footprints overall. I also can't quit the roll down back glass, despite how cool the split tailgate/liftgate combo is. The back glass rolling down gives me so much more use usability. I try to have at least a beer a week on the LC's tailgate so it feels loved. Also the passenger floor gets wet when it rains (sunroof drains is suspect #1). My back gets wet when it rains sitting in the driver seat because of the water that comes from the sunroof (drains and maybe its not sealing all the way?) The back floor is wet when it rains (high mount stop light needs some silicone). Out of 10 Toyota products I've owned in the 14 years I have been driving, none have ever had sunroof issues. Yes, I bought heater T's. Mine are solid, no leaks. But I bought new ones anyway. This brings us to April 2022.

The Grand Plan
I bought this thing because I have always been curious about the Land Cruisers, simple as that. I've driven it, used it for mild projects, and have had fun diving into the history on this platform. That said, I'm past the point of no return on 4th gen 4Runners and they are my long term vehicular home. Therefore, this LC needs eventually find a new owner. What better way to facilitate that than to do a mild build, improve a few things then sell it off?

So that is the plan. As of 4/18/2022 the truck is marinating in PB Blaster. and is sitting on jack stands in my garage. Over the next two weeks parts are finally being delivered to rebuild the font end and overhaul the suspension, The steering wheel + gear shift is being shipped to Texas to get re wrapped, and I found and purchased Doug Thorley headers at Summit Racing, even though SOMEHOW this truck does not have the 4.7 tick, even at 255k and rust. Me and my gang of idiot friends are going to give this truck some much needed attention and I think at the conclusion, a more solid vehicle will emerge. I'm fortunate to not have a timeline, or real budget here... other than it living in the middle of my garage and that will very much get annoying. I'm not building a SEMA truck, but I'm not trying to budget build.

Maintenance Commentary + Pics
1) Timing Belt, Water Pump, Coolant - February 2022
Driving back from Philly I was terrified the entire time of the timing belt snapping... there was no record in the CarFax and no stickers/documentation on/in the engine bay or cabin when I bought the thing. So I just yolo'd it home cruise control 70 mph. During tear down en route to a timing belt replacement, we found the sticker from 2013 and 200k miles. That meant in 9 years the truck only covered ~55k miles or so... not a ton of usage. Regardless, the timing belt and water pump were replaced. I found a killer Toyota shop by me, the owner is a fellow 2UZ fanatic. Wanted to help out a small business and farmed out this job. If you are in Northeast Ohio check out ECP Auto in Cuyahoga Falls. Nate, the owner, is a great mechanic and believes in the mission of keeping these things on the road.
uncovered timing sticker.jpg

new parts on bench.jpg

parts on ground.jpg

engine tear down.jpg

2) New horn + wiring - March 2022
The horn worked. Wasn't a concern. Then the horn worked too well and was a big problem. 7 am on a Tuesday, during a rain storm, the truck began blaring the horn non stop. I ran outside, opened the hood and just ripped the wires out of the horns. Fun. The wiring was scary, so I chalked it up to someone half-assing a repair. I bought Hella Supertones, took the grill off, new connections and wired everything up. They sounded good, and the install was easy. So I put a set on my 4th gen 4Runner while I was in the groove.

You can imagine my unhappiness when two weeks later the LC's new and improved mega loud horns went off again at 5 AM during a rain storm. My new wiring withstood me ripping the spade connectors off the back in a half awake stupor, but the gremlin still exists as to why, during a rain, SOMETIMES, my horns go off until I un plug them.
tempImagepvypzn.jpg

3) Transmission, differentials (factory rear locker + center), t-case fluid change, driveline lube - April 2022
I also noticed during our initial stint using the LC for daycare/grocery/weekend trip duties that we had a horrid driveline clunk (common) and the trans was rough, at times, going 1st to second from a stop, regardless of temp. 4lo and both diffs worked great. Trans fluid was a tad low and a gross color. My local Toyota dealer helped here, I went into their parts department to get heater T's and started talking to the service manager. Long story short, be nice to people and they will be nice to you. Especially if you have a LC at a dealer that sells primarily Siennas and Priuses. I hate hate hate hate doing transmission fluid swaps at home, I asked him what they'd charge me, and for $400 I got 75 minutes of coffee and contemplation (priceless when you are the parent of a 5 year old AND you work from home full time in the same house as your wife) in their waiting room while they handled almost half a dozen annoying tasks. It was 1000% worth it. No pictures here.

Yes, I bought heater T's. Mine are solid, no leaks. But I bought new ones anyway. This brings us to April 2022.

tempImage0ANREI.jpg

Shot of what the new Hella's look like behind the grill on the LC and of the install on the 4th gen.
tempImageypvwlQ.jpg

4) Purchase an O'Reillys/Beer Run Vehicle that gets 40mpg.
My wife wants a Porsche (another reason why the LC needs to eventually go to a new owner). I refuse to buy one without 3 pedals. Problem is she doesn't know how to drive a manual car (never wanted to learn on my manual XJ, Subaru, friend's manual s***boxes etc) but NOW she does, and I'm don't want to teach on a 981 Cayman or 997 911. I happened across a 1998 Civic DX Hatch last week parked on the side of the road. So after a phone call and a quick test drive, It came home with me for the low low price of $1k. This baby is a one owner fuel sipping roller skate with three pedals and it also adds depth to our bench behind my 4th gen, ultimately taking any sort of time constraints off the LC project other than, like I mentioned, it being in the middle of my garage.

We drove the Civic to dinner the other night... it had some parking lot friends.
48CC05E8-95ED-4792-B121-7D918E757E0E.JPG

5) Garage it up and start the PB Blastin
All of the parts finally have shipping estimates, so I put the truck in the garage, put the front in the air started prep for the overhaul. First, we took the steering wheel and gear shift off so it can be shipped to Texas for refurb. I broke the overdrive button wiring taking the shift knob off, so I'll be fixing that by pulling the center console and paying for my sins with new wiring and patience. Otherwise we took the front tires off, got a good look with a hammer, screw driver, and a flash light at the condition of the front frame. Overall status: confidently solid. Minor scaling, no soft spots, holes, etc. For an east coast truck with this mileage its in great shape, but it will only stay that way if we tackle the frame now. So, the next round of part/material orders will be centered around removing frame rust, then sealing and painting. What better time to do it than after we tear out the suspension and have clear access. More to come on that.

We leave this post with the Cruiser at this point. Tear down will start this week, then we'll move into frame work before putting in our new parts that should start to arrive this week into next.

Also this forum runs different than some of the other ones I'm on... what is the easiest way to upload photos to these things, 5 at a time is going to be a bummer to work around.
tempImageAoL2lZ.jpg

8A408133-EEAC-460F-929B-A0133624906A.JPG

Final photos from the above post.
tempImagevpiETZ.jpg

tempImaget8RpXs.jpg

FML.

tempImageKTML3C.jpg

C R U S T Y
IMG_7742.jpg

Thankful for a heated garage because its April in Ohio and that means snow and 32 degrees I guess. 80 and sunny this weekend though!
s***box Civic gets garage space because its easier to steal than my red truck. and its tiny.

How did the steering wheel come out? That’s “next“ on my list.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom