Project Ambitious: 1UZ FJ40 - Help Needed!! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Guys, firstly many thanks for the wonderful comments and encouragement!Secondly apologies for not having posted in a long time, things have been rather hectic to say the least.

Update on the project, well, I am pleased to announce that we have the thing all hooked up and on the road!
file.php

There are a few bits and bobs to resolve, all of which seem to be electronic :( The MAF sensor has been a particular pain and we have settled on the third one, which appears to be working for now.... second one seen in the pic below
file.php

Some interesting bits to add include the power clutch thingy (on which I am not fully sure what all it does, but was added by the mechanical team):
file.php

Ran out of decent space under the hood for the battery, so it has to go behind the passenger seat on a custom box:
file.php

file.php

The wiring harness has been somewhat of a nightmare with the original engine harness cut up into pieces badly and had to be recreated....this one I believe is the modified FJ40 harness for lights etc. There are obviously a host of electronics for elockers and 4x4 too :bang:
file.php

Got some Bilstein shocks from Dubai which are on the stiff side of things but are quite impressive overall. Still need some work to adjust the leaf springs properly.
file.php

Last edited:
Well, this is how the thing stands currently...planning to complete body and paintwork only once the mechanical and electronic stuff is 100%.

file.php

Last edited:
Any pictures of the Drivetrain and lengths of the Prop shafts I wold like one of these engines withan auto box also!

Rev Limiter Issue

The 1UZ is still pretty much unchartered territory around here and there are some hiccups as expected :) Nevertheless, the FJ40 is running very nicely and is a lot of fun to drive on the road, touch wood!

We are experiencing the rev limiter which is kicking in rather early at around 5000rpm. Not sure if this is some remnants of traction control, auto trans or something else. I have searched on the net but have not found something very relevant!

We are facing some other minor issues with some shorting plug wires and getting the following error codes:

13: cam timing or rpm signal???
27: sub oxygen sensor left cam - sensor not currently in place)
47: sub throttle position sensor - have the buterfly locked in open position, possibly a wiring issue

Any views on the above particularly the rev limiter would be very helpful.

Great pics I would love that set up here in the Philippines!! Good job!!!

We managed to fix the rev limiter, it was actually a faulty injector which was replaced. Rig is running much smoother, albeit it is much more scary now to drive :D

Bilstein Shock Threrapy

I picked up some second hand Bilstein shocks on a recent Dubai visit. The lower mounts on rear shocks were modified from strut type to eye type. THe welding had to be done very carefully as gas pressured shocks are dangerous when exposed to heat.

file.php

file.php

file.php

file.php

Update Ahoy!

Apologies for not having posted out here in quite a while, but I seem to have lost myself in ongoing projects. In short, we got the thing running and spent the last few months sorting out bits and bobs (mainly electrical). Progress to be made on the paint and body but machanically things are now running very well. The various frankensteinish bits and parts have bonded very well with each other. One thing thats probably misleading on above posts is that we have a 1HD-FT gear box (I beleieve the H150!?) with shorter 1-3 gear ratios which is resulting overwhelming low end torque and a fair bit of wheelspin upto about 80kmph! Need to put on a video to really explain whats going on but (touch wood) everything seems to be very rewarding for now! Here are some pics of various stages and playing around we have been doing:

file.php

file.php

file.php

file.php

file.php

file.php

file.php

file.php

And many thanks for all the feedback and nice comments on the thread!

nice work! She pulls away pretty well too :D

It took a while getting here.... but lots of pain, progress, experimentation, antics, jugglery and a whole lotta fun in the meantime. Apologies for not keeping this thread updated but kinda got swamped with things and with several related threads on various forums.

Many thanks with all the wonderful comments and interest out here. Here are some updated pics spanning last few months work to hopefully catch y'all's interest and move on to some tricky questions I have for the mucho experienced lot out here.... This ain't over by any means :)

The engine bay:
file.php

file.php

A view of home test-painted hood and fenders:
file.php

Seats and belts:

file.php

First sand-runs at the Indus river banks:
file.php

file.php

First snow-run with soft top (note grease stains on hood :))
file.php

Another home paint job and a wheeling/lockers test with the Islamabad Jeep Club. Running Rancho 9000s...
file.php

file.php

file.php

A half hearted attempt to get some air...
file.php

file.php

Some creative poser parking. Note rear leafs replaced with 70 series fronts, added brace at B-pillar and a soft whatcha-may-call-it top...
file.php

file.php

file.php

Pheww... that took a while to put together :) Will add a few more bits and bobs before I get to some burning questions. Did I mention anywhere that we plan to desert race this???

On a more sober note, anything on this 1UZ-FJ40 Concordia would be incomplete without highlighting the partnership we struck with the 4405 Land Use Buggy Team. Much obliged to Team 4405 particularly Kurt Schneider. The two rigs are literally worlds apart, but the causes they are dedicated to are indeed worthy and noble and must be supported as far as possible....

""Pakistani and American off road enthusiasts connect despite cultural differences 4×4 groups from opposite sides of the globe inspire each other to further important causes

file.php
While the Pakistan and American governments are currently at odds over recent events in Pakistan, off road enthusiasts from both countries are working together in harmony.
Through the largest 4×4 website in the world, Pirate4x4.com, Dr. Ehsan Kiani of the Islamabad Jeep Club in Pakistan began following the work of the 4405 “Land-Use” off road race team (OV Rock-Sports - Home) which competes in races such as the famed King of the Hammers race in Johnson Valley California. (Ultra4Racing.com | Unlimited 4WD Off-Road Racing) The 4405 “Land-Use” team’s mission is to not just race, but to preach responsible off road recreation and volunteerism to ensure continued motorized access on public lands. In order to raise awareness of environmental and land-use issues, the 4405 race vehicle is also often seen on display at businesses, events, schools and 4×4 trail cleanups and work parties.

In May of 2010, the 4405 race car was completely lost in a structure fire. Due to the importance of the land-use team’s mission, companies and individuals began donating parts and funds to rebuild the car. In an effort to be a part of the rebuild, Dr. Kiani donated hand stamped, metal 4405 plates that have been welded onto the new vehicle. A lost art in the United States, hand stamping metal is still practiced in Pakistan.

In August of 2010, Pakistan was ravaged by floods, claiming 1,200 lives, wiping out entire villages and forcing nearly 2 million Pakistanis to flee their homes. Not only has the Islamabad Jeep Club been involved with relief efforts, inspired by the 4405 Land-Use team’s efforts in the United States, Dr. Kiani and his brother Suhaib began building an off road vehicle to raise awareness of the issue and the work being done by the club in the Swat Valley in Northern Pakistan. Dubbed the “Concordia Relief Racer”, the vehicle will be used in much the same way as its sister vehicle the 4405, but for a different cause on the other side of the planet.

Dr. Kiani says “We got tremendous support from all around for the Flood Relief Initiative started by the Islamabad Jeep Club. When the massive floods hit Pakistan, Suhaib and I were in the middle of building a 4×4 vehicle (named Concordia) for use in off road rallies. Inspired by the 4405, we decided to use the Concordia to raise awareness about the relief work. I am positive that the partnership between the 4405 and Concordia will go a long way.”

According to Kurt Schneider of the 4405 “Land-Use” team, “We are ecstatic that our team’s efforts are recognized by a 4×4 club from across the globe, and honored to know that we have become the inspiration for the Concordia Relief Racer. Despite different ideologies and cultures, we are bound by a common love of off roading and vehicle fabrication. I think many Americans would be surprised that Pakistanis build 4×4’s, head up to the mountains, then four wheel and camp much like we do here in the United States.”

In addition to this partnership, the 4405 team and Team Concordia are currently working on several projects to exchange fabrication skills and knowledge between Pakistani and American 4×4 enthusiasts.""

See details of the Concordia Relief Racer and IJC's Flood Relied Initiative out here:
Islamabad Jeep Club • View topic - The Concordia Reconnect RELIEF-RACER Initiative

For more on Islamabad Jeep Club's flood relief an social work activities (not fully upto date but lots of stuff there):
ijc.com.pk/relief

Last edited:
Videos...!!!???

I just realised that the videos are not really on this thread. Guess it goes to show what happens when you have three project threads going. While the full details and more pics can be found on the IJC forum thread , I really like this IH8MUD thread for the simplicity:

These are just some random videos that a few friends captured mostly in the early testing phase:

First zero to sixty time (engine not fully tuned, but...) :
YouTube - SK471

On the M2 Motorway against 3.0 Mitsubishi Pajero:
YouTube - Desert devil Vs SK

YouTube - Uzi Co&^%#*ia SEX!!

Engine bay view and rev on cold sand run day:
YouTube - MOV00D.MOD

First run on deep Indus sands...
YouTube - Uzi's run

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom